Active Users:180 Time:19/05/2024 05:33:20 AM
reading your link it looks like you may be right random thoughts Send a noteboard - 28/07/2010 10:31:20 PM
But I think you're exaggerating a great deal in describing how atrocious the action is, and since that's the core of your argument why you don't believe it...

Well, 'why I am skeptical about it' is more accurate. I'm not dismissing it out of hand, my initial take is 'exaggerated' and/or 'attributing to rare mistakes a regular and sinister overtone'

For it to be as outrageous as you are saying, the adults would have had to take that food with the conscious notion of "this way, there'll be kids that go without a proper meal today". I agree that *that* is highly unlikely.

This is what's implied though, since the chance of it being an accident or oversight is mostly dispelled as soon as someone tells the teachers 'hey, we've had some kids missing meals, you need to be a bit more careful about grabbing lunches' at which point most people would gasp in self-horror and be leery of touching a bag unless it was absolutely guaranteed all the rugrats had fed. IT's very easy for me to believe a teacher, thinking there was more than enough and/or the kids had eaten, grabbing a bag out of ignorance, then doing it again on hearing they've ordered more to address the issue, 'ah, problem solved' says person more concerned about teaching arithmetic then logistical issues. I just can't see need for external intervention unless one is including sinister motives.

But then, they most likely did not think any such thing when they ate that food. The whistleblower herself is quoted about how it's inappropriate to eat food paid for by federal funds and intended for children. Which it obviously is. But it only becomes outrageous if doing so leaves insufficient amounts for children. Those teachers seem to have taken their food at a point at which they couldn't really see how much was needed for the children, though. And they may just have figured that every child would get a few bites less, then. They certainly wouldn't have thought that children would go without food entirely because of that, which incidentally is a claim I rather doubt anyway.

Agreed, and this of course is very easy to see happening, but her conduct over the event seems weird then, since the easiest and most obviously successful means of correction isn't taking photos but simply telling all the other teachers. If she did this, then for it to continue would require those more sinister motives, and if she did not, then it damages her whistle-blower status since you're supposed to make a reasonable attempt to address issues with reasonably ethical causes before bringing in parents, churches, reporters, etc. Now, details are scarce but the 'reasonable mistake' option just doesn't seem in play for whistle-blowing, either she's accusing them of sinister motives or she's failed to pursue a common sense tactic before going overboard, and in that case it's easier for me to believe the latter.

Now, realistically I'd bet the whole thing is a combination of exaggeration of things that did happen combined with a certain excessive moral outrage on her part, how this led to her firing I don't know, normally I'd say 'that wasn't the reason she was fired' but the recent Sherrod case shows administrative hysteria and overreaction happen too. When she talks of the matter - link to a quick interview with her below - she doesn't seem to attribute it to either minor accident or wicked teachers, nor does she seem in a state of bug-eyed hysteria either, so as I said, I'm not willing to label her a loon either, I just can't see where exactly such a scandal could really fester. Obviously something was handled badly, I'm just leery of snap judgement and saying the other teachers or admins were absolutely doing something bad.
Reply to message
Looks like there are things teachers can get fired for after all - 28/07/2010 06:14:11 PM 909 Views
that is just ridiculous - 28/07/2010 06:26:22 PM 681 Views
may i be the first to say - 28/07/2010 07:05:50 PM 737 Views
It sounds too outrageous to be true - 28/07/2010 07:32:36 PM 560 Views
I partially agree. - 28/07/2010 07:57:11 PM 539 Views
except here's my thing... - 28/07/2010 08:23:05 PM 566 Views
that explains how she got fired - 28/07/2010 09:48:37 PM 494 Views
True - 28/07/2010 08:33:52 PM 816 Views
but didn't she initially go to the principal? - 28/07/2010 09:07:28 PM 452 Views
reading your link it looks like you may be right - 28/07/2010 10:31:20 PM 620 Views
you have a higher opinion of humanity than I do - 28/07/2010 09:44:31 PM 619 Views
you know, true or not... - 28/07/2010 08:29:38 PM 590 Views
I think the bigger concern is... - 28/07/2010 09:04:54 PM 617 Views
they're like pets, except not housebroken *NM* - 29/07/2010 12:53:47 AM 246 Views
What the hell can the EEOC do? *NM* - 29/07/2010 06:05:07 PM 214 Views

Reply to Message