Here's a list of all the quotes that are currently stored in the Read and Find Out database. They're handily grouped by category, which makes browsing through them a little bit easier.
If you have any bright ideas for new quotes, then feel free to suggest them to me!
Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Spec Fic (Back to top)
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them. Inscription on the One Ring
Eddie Dean speaking of his brother
Three score miles and ten.
Can I get there by candlelight?
Yes, and back again.
Yes, if your feet are nimble and light,
You can get there by candlelight. a childrens' rhyme
- No. Few think at all.
- Why is that?
- Because, Adjunct, it is futile. Adjunct Lorn and Onos T'oolan
I wanted something like this, too. A brick house in Hampstead and a father who didn't travel around the world killing people. Gabriel and Maya
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me. Code of the Sith
Mort thought for a moment.
"No," he said eventually, "what?"
There was silence.
Then Albert straightened up and said, "Damned if I know. Probably they get answers, and serve 'em right." On the advisability of inquisitiveness
- You brought a sandwich?
- Who do I look like, Kissinger? Harry Dresden talking with Captain Luccio
- REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX. Verses two to eight. Biker Gang and the four Horseman of the Apocalypse
Lt Commander Worf to a group of Borg he has just shot.
- From the Earth Diary of Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill
She laughed. "Yeah, the breast fairy came to visit and everything. Did you want to talk to my mom?"
Some might find it significant that it took me a second to realize she wasn't being literal about the faerie. Sometimes I hate my life. Harry Dresden
"Harry," Michael said sternly. "You know I hate it when you swear."
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds." Harry Dresden and Michael Carpenter
"Dead pigs and cows." She glanced up at me and wrinkled her nose.
"They're vegetarians," I said defensively. Inari Raith and Harry Dresden
Say, she rides where comets go,
And outpaces light. haiku composed by Janet Allegri
Strength before weakness.
Journey before destination. Ancient Oath
Turn off all experiements?
Feed the beastie?
Taunt the prisoner?
Appease the Dark One?
Lock the gates?
Slay the hero?
Take out the trash?
You may gloat! Engraved near he exit of the secret lab of Castle Heterodyne
-Merciful Gods, it must be catching! Locke to Calo, while describing his and Jean's alter egos
Quinn had always known the world would get along fine without him, but he liked hearing that.
- Of course not. Inverse cube law calls for eight times as much. Aramis and Elke, on the need for more explosives
"Ax? It's not a hologram," Rachel said.
- There's been a lot on my mind.
- It seems unlikely that your cares will lighten. Improve your mind. Queen Mab & Harry Dresden on his belated summons
- I prefer to think of it as managing your incompetence. Harry Dresden to his new valet, Cat Sith
Sanya, the agnostic Holy Knight of the Cross
Wheel of Time (Back to top)
So begins every first chapter of the Wheel of Time
Beware the man who remembers Hawkwing's face, for he will marry you and set you free.
Beware the man of the red hand, for him you will marry and none other. Foretelling made by damane Lidya to Tuon
We danced among the lightening bolts,
And tore the world asunder. Poem sometimes attributed to the Dragon Reborn.
Rand al'Thor, to Asmodean
Lews Therin Telamon, to Rand
Lews Therin Telamon. to Rand
Lews Therin Telamon, to Rand
into the Shadow with teeth bared,
screaming defiance with the last breath,
to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
We ran to the sounds of the thunder,
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world asunder.
Attributed to the Dragon Reborn
Even you and even me
Soon comes the day all shall die
Surely you, but never I Padan Fain
- Pure poetry, Mat. Mat and Talmanes, discussing women.
trust is the colour of a hearts blood flowing,
trust is the colour of a souls last breath,
trust is the colour of death Mat thinks it, but it comes from one of his memories
trust is the sound of betrayal in the dark,
trust is the sound of a soul's last breath,
trust is the sound of death. Mat thinks it, but it comes from one of his memories
Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
What was asked is given.
The price is paid. The inscription on Mat's Ashandarei
All other literature (Back to top)
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogroves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
America was thus clearly top nation, and History came to a .
The end of the book (and history).
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?
Violets are blue
Nothing is true V, on a flier
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.
Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie. Epitaph over '300' Spartans grave. Verses by poet Simonides
see, but in the light of day we
have no vision of man's destiny. Clytaemnestra's ghost addressing the sleeping chorus
I like hot soup
warm kitten hug.
So no matter what you do
Can't keep a gangsta down." Bigfoot is writing freestyle poetry
- And no one can be introduced in a ballroom. Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth discussing why he didn't dance
No matter if the enemy has thousands of men, there is fulfillment in simply standing them off and being determined to cut them all down, starting from one end.
You will finish the greater part of it.
making them go to bed at eleven.
Pack up your sins and go to the devil,
and you'll never have to go to bed at all!
for he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother
Whilst wretched man is still in arms for fear.
For fear he arms, and is of arms afraid,
By fear to fear successively betrayed.
- Haggis is a kind of food, too. Although, as far as taste goes, there's probably not much difference. Anton and Semyon
Movies/TV (Back to top)
Emma to Mr Knightley, explaining Frank's absence
- So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. Frodo to Gandalf
- You what? You went in there, wrote "I AM A FISH" four hundred times, did a funny little dance and fainted! Lister and Rimmer discuss Rimmer's failed exam
- Holly, all his mates were French! Holly and Lister discuss Satre
- Yes I have, and it's so cunning you can brush your teeth with it.
- Is it as cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has moved on, and is now working for the UN at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning? Blackadder, plotting
Dr. Evil to Scott Evil. Both are in the Jerry Springer Show.
-What is that?
-You are better at dying! Conversation between Dalek Sek and Cyber Leader
- Well, my lead pipe hurts a little.
- That's normal. Next patient. Dr. Zoidberg and Fry
- Yeah, they call you the spanner...
Howard Moon and Vince Noir
- I'll probably just do some poetry. What will yours be?
- I'll probably just swear my tits off.
Howard Moon and Vince Noir
- You’re a French duke, if ever I saw one. You lie around in hammocks all day, eating soft cheese.
Vince Noir and Howard Moon
- I don't know. Do they lie down to sad music and die like the Elephant Man?
Howard Moon and Vince Noir
Neytiri, to Jake Sully
Bulldozer pilot, to Col. Quaritch
- Chartreuse baby, the only liqueur so good they named a color after it. Warren to Jungle Julia
Earth creature, with feathers, a yellow beak, goes 'quack'?
- Ah, yes. I feel as though I am being nibbled to death by cats. Londo to Vir
- A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire Aragorn to Eowyn before they leave for Helms Deep
- It's very stressful being an Other, Jack. Jack & Juliet, on their encounter with Harper
- Search them for paper... and bring me a rock. Zap Brannigan arrests Leela for possesion of scissors
Al-Qaeda so it should be American enough for Sarah Palin. Re: Palin saying the Midwest is the "real America"
- What? Handsome with a great sexual prowess? John Crichton and Dominar Rygel XVI
Firing bollux for ammunition A nine minute beat poem called 'Storm'
- Geographically speaking,in the
Northern Hemisphere. Socially, on the margins and, narratively, with some way to go.
Tony to Percy
- Why not?
- She shot you.
- Well, yeah, she did a bit. Zoe to Mal
- Yes, I know. You were doing well, until everyone died. - Bender and God
- Welcome to Academia. Amy to the hyper intelligent Mr. Katz
Have I not made my opinion on apologizing clear? It is for the weak and wrong! King Julien, on apologizing.
- The girl's a witch!
- Yeah, but she's our witch. *cocks gun* So cut her the hell down. Mal to the town Patron with River about to be burned alive.
Give me some more money, you bastard.
May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman
Neil. Neil's letter to the bank manager.
- Jack Burton Driving a semi in a rainstorm, at night, wearing sunglasses.
- And you wouldn't get in the way of its decisions?
- I wouldn't get in its way, period. Sweets giving advice to Cam
- Hey, come one, that salsa's still good. Teal'c while looking in O'Neill's refrigerator
- Congratulations. Failing upwards I see. Her'ak and Colonel Jack O'Neill on Abydos
- And when the Goa'uld wipe us out because we have nothing with which to defend ourselves, I'm sure we'll all feel *great* about ourselves and our high moral standard. General Hammond and O'Neill about Jack stealing from alies
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn. Alfred, Bruce Wayne's Butler
- Uh, I do.
- Bad example. Jack O'Neill and Daniel Jackson
- As in… cashew? Pea? Oh you mean Egyptian sky goddess. Vala Mal Doran & Daniel Jackson
Obi Wan Kenobi to Luke
Askua Langley Soryu to Shinji Ikari a lot
-Interesting? Is there anything there about Orthotics? Leonard and Amy (who is conducting an experiment in gossip)
- Bend too far, you’re already broken. Marla & Cedric Daniels
- Me too. Castle and Beckett after meeting Gene Simmons of KISS
- All these assholes on the Internet are calling us names because of this stupid fucking movie.
- That's what the Internet is for. Slandering others anonymously. Banky and Jay
- If you mean time-travelling bunnies, then yes. Locke to Ben Linus, watching a Dharma video
- Because I'm pretty?
- Because you're pretty. Wash comforting Kaylee
- Yes you do. You've just used a double negative. Roy and Moss, referring to the Pink Floyd song
- Like what?
- So much bigger on the inside. Idris and the Doctor
- Because I'm stupid!
- That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad. Sheldon and Penny
- Well, if I did I'd just scrape all your previous mishaps into a big pile and knit a onesie for it. Archer and Malory
- Said Winston Churchill. Winston Churchill and the Doctor
- Ah ha! But I am! Princess Zandra to Queen Selina of Temekula
- That's rough, buddy. Sokka to Good-Zuko, on a warballoon
- A man must have a code.
- Oh, no doubt! Omar and Bunk
- A good churchman is always up in everybody’s shit. That’s how we do. Dennis "Cutty" Wise & Deacon Melvin
- Doctor. You call me the Doctor.
- I see what you did there. Oswin and the Doctor
- The Doctor. Doctor. Fun. Captain Adelaide Brooke and The Doctor
Games (Back to top)
Vyse, to crew
and I'm all out of gum. Duke Nukem
and I am the darkness of eternity. Necron
Colonel Mullen to Justin
Yet the world is filled with truths.
Max Payne, surrounded by corpses he killed a minute ago
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer and Koholint will vanish, much like a bubble on a needle. Inscription in the Southern Face Shrine
No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.
- Sir, they have flashlight heads. Shepard and Ashley discussing Geth ambush parties
- How appropriate, you fight like a Cow! Guybrush, dueling a pirate
Rapp, about Feena
Those who order the kill,
Those who kill,
Those who are killed.
Those are the three elements required of this job.
I am the one who kills.
Johan the assassin
Is fate this twisted, this determined to end the melodies of life?
Mooncalf in Chronicle 10
Ryudo to High Priestess Selene
Lousy slacking peons... Foreman Thazz'ril (quest giver)
...I mean, of her mistake! Apollo Justice, to himself
My love life is weird. Harry Dresden, about Sigrun Gard
Joker, about Thane
Joker, making sounds of laser battle
- I'd like to in-your-endo. CODEX and BLADEZZ
ReadAndFindOut/Community (Back to top)
Cannoli, about to embark on another rant about Egwene
Jumping a strange woman in his parking lot.
- If the next two words out of your mouth are 'shock collar', I'm leaving right now.