Active Users:190 Time:19/05/2024 12:49:28 AM
It's the most wonderful time of the year Bad Ash Send a noteboard - 03/03/2011 06:07:52 PM
College basketball is awesome. Now as we head into conference tournament season, the argument heats up over who will be in or out, and who are the number one seeds. With BYU's loss last night, here are my #1 seeds as of right now:

Ohio State

Impressive resume, only two losses were on the road to a ranked Wisconsin and Purdue squads. Possibly the best all around team.

Kansas

Emerging late as the best team in the Big 12 despite and impressive run by Texas. May need to beat Texas in the Big 12 tournament to maintain the 1 seed.

Duke

26-3 but a big game against the Tar Heels coming up. Plus a rematch of this week's game is almost assured in the ACC tournament.

Pitt

I had this as BYU until last night. The Cougars needed to win out the rest of the regular season plus win the Mountain West tournament (including a third victory over San Diego State) to garner that top seed, and even then that couldn't be assured. With their second best player dismissed for violation of the honor code BYU couldn't hold it together against New Mexico. Now they are unlikely to make it to the Sweet Sixteen. Pitt holds a precarious lead in the Big East, far and away the best conference in college hoops. However Notre Dame is knocking on the door, and the Big East regular season has proven that any one of the top twelve teams can beat any of the other. It might be better for Pitt to take the 2 seed and remain in the East, with regional finals in Newark, NJ, rather than a 1 seed out West and games in Anaheim, CA. Texas and Purdue may also vie for that last 1 seed.

A quick note on BYU: Brandon Davies was kicked off the team for an honor code violation, which it turned out to be sex with girlfriend. BYU's honor code, which all their athletes must take, disallows premarital sex, tobacco use, coffee, alcohol, lying, cheating, and they must all attend church regularly. There has been commentary from some that the punishment doesn't fit the crime, that sex is not worth getting kicked off the team. I disagree. Now I'm no Mormon, nor am I even religious, and I'm guilty of everything prohibited on the honor code a hundred times over. But Davies had a choice to attend BYU or another school; as a Mormon raised in Provo, Utah he chose to attend the hometown school. Thus he said he'd play by the rules, knowing full well what those rules were. Are they drastic? Somewhat draconic? Perhaps. But I'd rather see a team uphold its integrity and kick off a student for diddling his girlfriend then see someone steal a laptop, attempt to get $180,000 to play for a school, then go on and win the Heisman trophy and a national championship. Is it utterly unfair that Davies sits the rest of the season while the criminal Cam Newton got to play football this year, and succeed? Definitely. But that means that Auburn should have raised its standards, not that BYU should lower theirs.
Reply to message
It's the most wonderful time of the year - 03/03/2011 06:07:52 PM 422 Views
I'll never understand what the fascination with college basketball is. - 03/03/2011 10:59:26 PM 295 Views
I think it is all the gambling during March Madness... - 04/03/2011 08:30:18 AM 291 Views
I get so sick of the NBA. - 05/03/2011 12:16:25 AM 301 Views
Re: Jesus. *NM* - 04/03/2011 02:53:23 AM 119 Views

Reply to Message