Active Users:192 Time:19/05/2024 04:57:22 PM
It's not a bad ideal but it's not a practical one either Isaac Send a noteboard - 24/08/2011 01:40:39 PM
And actually a tad hypocritical since the flowchart itself has the flavor of sermon. In a one on one conversation - which the board isn't - your real goals don't involve reasoned argument, they are all about building a bond to the other person, convincing them that you and he/she are both very reasonable people, dropping minor concessions to reinforce how reasonable you are while drawing out their own soft spots and pet peeves, etc. Arguing in front of a group is a whole different issue, in face to face group discussion where I and another person are doing the primary debating, I usually not only am not trying to convert them but really don't want to. What I really want is to contrast them to myself in the eyes of our mutual audience in such a way that I, and thus my position, are more thought out, more reasonable, more relaxed... never smug, angry, irritable, etc. unless my audience is there with me, if they are getting irritable, I will too, trying to deliver line the reposts and comments they want to say and so forth. Good reasoning helps but it's really more about reading your audience, that's very very hard on text-only posting, even compared to chat, so that table might be more appropriate to this sort of medium, but I doubt it.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
Instead of writing a specific set of rules for RAFO - 24/08/2011 03:56:40 AM 469 Views
*NM* - 24/08/2011 04:10:42 AM 120 Views
Win! *NM* - 24/08/2011 04:41:50 AM 180 Views
There's one part I disagree with - 24/08/2011 11:07:42 AM 297 Views
It's not a bad ideal but it's not a practical one either - 24/08/2011 01:40:39 PM 294 Views

Reply to Message