Active Users:135 Time:01/06/2024 11:44:55 PM
Ah, my mistake; I thought he came out this year. Joel Send a noteboard - 28/11/2011 03:54:42 AM
Suh was picked number 2 by the Lions. My point about Suh remains the same. Does he have a chip on his shoulder? Yup. Did he do something wrong Thursday with that lineman? Yup. Has he had some bad penalties? Yup. Does he need to grow up? Yup. Is he "dirty"? Nope. Real dirty players are obviously dirty. They do things that could hurt people intentionally and have a history. That cornerback for the Titans comes t mind (forgot his name), he has a history of doing stuff in the pile.

THIS year Detroit drafted Nick Fairley with their first pick, whose collegiate career makes Suh look like a boy scout. Maybe the problems in Detroit go deeper than either of those two players alone. My rule of thumb would probably be "if you do not want a reputation as a dirty team, do not draft the dirtiest player in consecutive draft classes." Just a suggestion.
Most of Suh's penalties this year were roughing because the O-lines for teams have a hard time keeping him out of the pocket and he ends up in there taking a last second dive to try and get the QB before he throws. That unfortunately results in a hands in the face because he is outstretched. Maybe he needs to work on the last second hold off instead of diving at the QB. He's also been double teamed all year which can for obvious reasons be very frustrating and lead to finally having enough and loosing one's cool. I trust Jim Schwartz will work on him with whatever he needs to do to correct it. Mainly, I think Suh just has some growing up to do. It is easy to remember just how young these guys are. He is two years out of college, what were you or I doing at his age? We probably made some dumb mistaked too due to immaturity. I think goes for a lot of the dumb things you see form young players in the league. They really are immature and don't think through some of their actions like somebody who is older and has learned what to do and what not to do through age and experience.

Roughing is roughing; non-incidental contact with a QBs head is a penalty in its own right (and should not be, IMHO and just for the record, but that IS the rule as written) but roughing is distinct from that: Hitting the QB after he releases the ball is roughing. Also IMHO the League should give defenders one step with EACH foot, because after they plant the first momentum will still be carrying them forward; they either have to take an additional step or face plant (which will still be called a rough.)
He is intense, which to me makes the claim that he's dirty all the more dumber, because there isn't one team in the NFL that wouldn't take him in a heartbeat on the their D line. He will probably get suspended for a game or two which may due him some good toward achieving that needed maturity.

Well, there is ONE, but the Rams are hopeless.
Btw, so there is no confusion, sports talk radio in Detroit was full of callers today that are pissed about what he did and his failure to just admit his mistake and own up to it. We all recognize he needs to work on his temper and maturity and nobody (well except for a few knuckleheads) is defending him on this around here.

Indeed, I saw an article earlier today quoting unnamed Lions players saying the League and coach should have taken corrective action with Suh much sooner (I would link it, but it is on NFL.com, and it ALWAYS locks up Chrome when I try to use it on game day; it has really turned into a truly wretched site in terms of usefulness.)
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
How 'BOUT dem Packers?!!? - 25/11/2011 12:09:33 AM 257 Views
And to think I almost missed it - 25/11/2011 12:17:12 AM 252 Views
I was really hoping they lost, but the Lions certainly did not deserve to win. - 25/11/2011 12:46:08 AM 243 Views
The Suh thing is so overblown. - 25/11/2011 06:46:57 AM 223 Views
I agree with Shannon Sharpes comment at half time of the 'Phins/Cowboys game. - 25/11/2011 07:40:36 AM 271 Views
I think you are confused. - 26/11/2011 01:15:59 AM 200 Views
Ah, my mistake; I thought he came out this year. - 28/11/2011 03:54:42 AM 195 Views
I don't think the damage he did to his team is overblown - 28/11/2011 04:50:26 PM 203 Views

Reply to Message