Active Users:163 Time:01/06/2024 09:04:14 PM
Shots fired on Virginia Tech campus Fox and Ravens Send a noteboard - 08/12/2011 06:55:22 PM
I'm currently interning at IBM in NC but I got a VT alerts about an hour ago about a possible shooting on campus. I thought nothing of it, assuming it was another fluke like the 3 adolescents who were thought to be carrying weapons. A few minutes later, I got another alert of a suspect. A little more evidence. Then another saying that a police officer was shot and another possible victim in the cage.

So here is what I know at this time:

There was a shooting near the Cassel Coliseum. One police officer has been shot and is rumored to be dead. I saw a picture of what seemed to be a body bag so you can assume this to be true. Another report of a victim near the cage (parking lot on the south east side of campus). The suspect is described as white male, gray sweat pants, gray hat w/neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backpack. I'm listening to the police scanner. He was heading towards McComas (north side) earlier. I have just heard (in last 10 seconds) of possible shots were fired near squires and johnson hall.

I'll edit as more information comes. So far, I hear of no other incidents and the police are all over campus. One of my friends heard the initial shots but other than that, none of my friends were close by and they're all fine. I'm praying for my hokies.

Unconfirmed update: Since there are many shooting at different places around campus, there are suspected to be multiple shooters. Police scanner saying there are possible shots at squires, johnson hall, and the cage nearly confirms this (though it is possible that in the time between citings that the shooter had made it over there)

Update 2: Added CNN article

Update 3: They have a few suspects in questioning and have already questioned and released some. My friend is with rescue and has just been dispatched to another shooting. I'm unsure if it would be the original one at the cage or a new victim but I'm 99% sure it's the latter. I've also heard reports from friends of a shooting inside Squires.

Update 4: View from torg bridge of Squires student center: http://imgur.com/w440d. Also, I don't even care how many edits I make, I'll keep going till the story is all told out.

Update 5: From VT alerts: "Reports of recent sounds ID'd as gunshots and suspicious activity on campus have been investigated and unfounded." Squires has been cleared. It sounds like the gunshots maybe have been just people knocking on doors that people misread in their confusion and panic. Johnson Hall was presumed to be a garbage truck. They called the company and got that guy the hell out of there. There's also reports to look for a burgundy mitsubishi headed for Christiansburg.

EDIT: Garbage truck wasn't for Johnson Hall. It was for the Performing Arts building.

Update 6: From friend's facebook. (He's currently in torg): "people are being allowed to leave but the police in riot gear said it is at your own risk!" I don't know how I feel on this since the police scanner has quieted and it seems like most of the danger has passed but still...we have no idea where this asshole is.

Update 7: More pictures of torg bridge. http://imgur.com/a/1dH9z#qMzY7 and http://imgur.com/MIc7c

Update 8: Pretty cleared up at this point. Tech says to return to normal but we all know how possible that is after an event like this. Ideas have been floating around that the victim who was the student was the shooter but that's a very, very, very unconfirmed report, though it is possible. I just think if it was, it'd be easy to identify by the clothing the victim and shooter were wearing. But still no info has been released on the student as far as I can tell. I thank and love all the communities and people who've shown support. If anything new is released, I'll try to come back and give an update. And I'll leave you guys with this article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57339465/officer-killed-at-va-tech-gunman-believed-dead/

Update 9: One of the pictures I posted earlier, I grabbed from facebook and now I realize it's actually from 2007. Here's the reddit post. http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/n5aw1/at_virginia_tech/

Update 10: It's been confirmed that the second "victim" is the shooter, not a student, not an alum and is not connected to the school in any way. The name will be released after a positive ID and the next of kin have been informed.

After all this has been said, I would also like to note that on this day, I could not be prouder to be a Hokie. The response from the school and all of the fellow Hokies in Blacksburg and around the world have been incredible and I'm honored to attend such a magnificent school with a wonderful community. Everyone has truly pulled through to make a dark time that much brighter. I'm also disappointed that I'm unable to attend the candlelight ceremony tonight in memory of Officer Crouse who was killed. I've asked my friend to take some pictures for me. I'll compile the pictures that are taken and put them in an imgur album and I'll post them later. God Bless Officer Crouse and please pray for his family.
Go Hokies!

CS/CpE. Yay engineering!
cnn
This message last edited by Fox and Ravens on 09/12/2011 at 05:34:54 PM
Reply to message
Shots fired on Virginia Tech campus - 08/12/2011 06:55:22 PM 682 Views
That's horrible. - 08/12/2011 07:23:07 PM 294 Views
Stopped at a routine traffic stop, weird. *NM* - 08/12/2011 07:35:43 PM 181 Views
when you ask why cops have to be such assholes this is why - 08/12/2011 08:11:52 PM 444 Views
No, I'm pretty sure there's a difference between "asshole" and "cautious" - 09/12/2011 01:36:26 PM 305 Views
It was a pretty simple point but I see you still managed to miss it *NM* - 09/12/2011 06:08:16 PM 132 Views
What beetnemesis said. - 09/12/2011 06:01:15 PM 252 Views
What I said to beetnemesis - 09/12/2011 06:19:14 PM 356 Views
Well, YMMV, as always. - 09/12/2011 07:13:52 PM 340 Views
Stay safe. Though it sounds like it's winding down. *NM* - 08/12/2011 09:44:32 PM 153 Views
A scary and sad reminder of past pain. - 09/12/2011 06:02:07 PM 288 Views

Reply to Message