Active Users:343 Time:15/05/2024 10:53:17 PM
There are better trials than the random-insertion "sham" acupuncture ones. Dreaded Anomaly Send a noteboard - 08/02/2012 04:53:08 PM
For another, it is difficult to formulate a true double-blind randomized trial for acupuncture, so it's not like any study on it is free from questioning to begin with. You can't compare it to "no treatment", because then you have a group that knows it hasn't been treated. They usually do "sham" acupuncture to be the "placebo"/baseline, but you're still DOING something so it's not a true placebo. We don't know the exact mechanisms, so we can't say for sure that "sham" acupuncture does nothing. And the body is just full of points so who's to say you're not inadvertently "Treating" (if you're truly just hitting random points in the body). It's like..oh...you're trying to formulate a drug to quickly alleviate hypoglycemia, but you still use a "sugar pill" as your placebo. Obviously that'd be a poor decision, but think of that operating under the assumption that you don't know the sugar pill will help the hypoglycemia. It's not a great analogy--I apologize--but I think you can see my point?

Newer trials use retracting needles which don't actually penetrate the skin. See this review: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2005.01584.x/full

Sham devices have recently become available which allow patient-blinding and adequately control for placebo effects by closely mimicking real acupuncture and being physiologically inert [129–135]. The common principle of these devices is that the sham acupuncture needle gives the impression of penetrating the skin whilst, in reality, it shortens under manual pressure similar to a ‘mini telescope’. Acupuncture-naïve patients are therefore unable to tell the difference between these types of sham acupuncture and real acupuncture [136]. Patient-blinding in acupuncture trials is crucial not least because patients’ beliefs regarding the receipt of acupuncture bear a stronger relationship to pain perception than the specific effects of acupuncture [137]. The new sham devices allow acupuncture trials to be conducted sham-controlled, patient-blind and evaluator-blind. The therapist will not, however, normally be masked as to treatment allocation, and this remains a source of potential bias. The results of all clinical trials currently available (up to July 2005) using such sham-devices [138–150] are summarized in Table 4. Of the 13 studies available to date, nine show no significant difference between real and sham acupuncture in the primary outcome measure. Thus the majority of these trials suggests that the effects of acupuncture could after all be mostly due to a placebo response.

Additionally, there are a number of clinical trials in animals (I've done the most reading on trials in horses) that show efficacy of various forms of acupuncture OVER sham acupuncture. The result is usually the most significant when electroacupunture is used. There certainly can be bias at many points in the trial process, but it's pretty much impossible to get what most people think of as a 'placebo effect" from a horse. And it'd be unlikely to be a positive bias on the part of the horse (I have yet to meet a horse that likes being manhandled by scientists or poked at with needles).

I find two such studies upon a quick search:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16047667 concludes "Electroacupuncture was effective for treatment of chronic thoracolumbar pain in [15] horses." That is a pretty small sample size.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15460072 concludes "a single acupuncture treatment during an attack of heaves causes no more improvement in lung function than does handling the horse." This is for 10 horses, so again, a small sample size.

Some similar studies come up in the related citations of those, but I don't see any which give clear methodology or results.

In general, trying to establish subtle medical effects with such small samples is begging for false positives.

I'm NOT trying to say I 100% wholeheartedly think acupuncture is totally valid. Obviously we have a lot of questions about it, and how it can be used. But to write it off entirely based on flawed studies flies in the face of CENTURIES of clinical and anecdotal data in numerous countries, as well as studies performed with other species (and before you go writing that off, remember that most studies for drugs/etc... start with animal studies). I know people who have had very good responses to acupuncture and modalities of treatment that are based on similar principles. I know many horses that have responded very well to acupuncture. Acupuncture probably doesn't work they way we think it does and it probably doesn't always work (nothing does). But to write it off completely is depriving yourself and others of a potentially useful treatment modality.

There are plenty of centuries-old medical techniques, by which people swore unreservedly, that have turned out to be dangerous or ineffective. Bloodletting, electroshock therapy, lobotomies... even look at the recent case of Airborne. "Clinical and anecdotal evidence" is not worth very much by itself.

Edit: Also, and more relevantly, a Cochrane review for acupuncture as a treatment of tennis elbow: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11869671

There is insufficient evidence to either support or refute the use of acupuncture (either needle or laser) in the treatment of lateral elbow pain. This review has demonstrated needle acupuncture to be of short term benefit with respect to pain, but this finding is based on the results of 2 small trials, the results of which were not able to be combined in meta-analysis. No benefit lasting more than 24 hours following treatment has been demonstrated. No trial assessed or commented on potential adverse effect. Further trials, utilising appropriate methods and adequate sample sizes, are needed before conclusions can be drawn regarding the effect of acupuncture on tennis elbow.
This message last edited by Dreaded Anomaly on 08/02/2012 at 04:55:34 PM
Reply to message
I've always suspected doctors do more harm than good (cipro/tendonitis) (NSSP). - 06/02/2012 03:43:31 PM 804 Views
R.I.C.E - 06/02/2012 03:53:13 PM 743 Views
When I had inflamed joints and muscles the osteopath recommended heat and cold. - 06/02/2012 04:13:41 PM 621 Views
Seriously! I'm flabbergasted - 06/02/2012 04:42:42 PM 555 Views
heat is a good idea too. it loosens stuff up. - 06/02/2012 05:17:25 PM 515 Views
I've got it in the elbow - 06/02/2012 04:20:03 PM 493 Views
What do you have? Tennis elbow? - 06/02/2012 04:29:53 PM 539 Views
Acupuncture is not measurably more effective than a placebo, so I would recommend saving your money. *NM* - 06/02/2012 08:59:21 PM 277 Views
For one, that statement varies on the study. - 06/02/2012 09:53:57 PM 580 Views
There are better trials than the random-insertion "sham" acupuncture ones. - 08/02/2012 04:53:08 PM 655 Views
There is some scientific basis for acupuncture claims. - 24/02/2012 01:48:15 PM 847 Views
Truly sorry to hear that. - 06/02/2012 09:56:21 PM 706 Views
thats why kids under 18 cant be prescribed Cipro. - 07/02/2012 12:25:43 AM 559 Views
Why are you taking cipro? - 13/02/2012 01:36:48 AM 555 Views
Interesting - 19/02/2012 05:49:38 AM 787 Views

Reply to Message