Active Users:197 Time:17/05/2024 06:04:15 AM
Re: NSSP: Tornadic winds mogi67 Send a noteboard - 16/04/2012 07:49:38 PM
I've lived in the midwest now for three and a half years after having lived in California the rest of my life. Last night was my first experience with tornados--or at least tornadic winds.

Firstly, no one I know of was hurt.

Secondly, the damage was significant, but not disastrous. There are a lot of snapped tree limbs, including a couple in my front yard. And they are very thick sections of limbs, too. One neighbor has an eight-foot section of tree in his back yard. He said he doesn't have a tree of that type, nor does a close neighbor, so he doesn't know where it came from. The neighbor across the street had a tree in his backyard uprooted and it is now in his pool. I have to park my truck outside, but luckily no flying debris appears to have hit it. We also had a very small section of shingle come off our roof. I also heard there's a power pole ripped in half down the street by the fire station, but that the power lines are all still attached.

Thirdly, I have to say I'm disappointed. Obviously, we were all down in the basement as the storm went by. But being down there, it didn't seem like anything was happening at all. I'd been looking forward to a tornado since I moved out here. But it was very anticlimactic. It doesn't even compare to the excitment of an earthquake.

Fourthly, the above paragraph is me kidding around. I'm very happy I didn't experience the winds up close and personal. I also don't mean to offend if you've been seriously affected by a tornado or tornadic-type storm.

Glad you're okay, man. I did Tornado Relief work for two months last summer in St. Louis and Springfield MA and saw some nasty stuff. Saw houses that were completely pancaked, picked up and set back down, homes with tree trunks thrown through them, rows of houses marked with red X's because they were to be torn down. There was a lot of minor damage too that was less dramatic, of course.

My last night in St Louis was the night of the tornadoes that destroyed Joplin, a few hours to the west. Me and my friend sat in my car and drank 40's while the storm blew through, haha, until it started hailing. Then in the morning we heard about Joplin and drove back to pittsburgh shitting ourselves and watching the sky because every area we drove through had a tornado watch or warning. Those kinds of storms are always kind of an awesome experience. Hopefully there won't be too many this year but it seems like the weather is out of control
Reply to message
NSSP: Tornadic winds. Now with Edit! - 15/04/2012 04:47:09 PM 479 Views
we were pretty lucky. Weather loves to dance around here - 15/04/2012 05:00:59 PM 356 Views
Glad to hear your OK. - 16/04/2012 02:12:16 AM 343 Views
Basements are nice. - 16/04/2012 07:03:07 PM 463 Views
Re: NSSP: Tornadic winds - 16/04/2012 07:49:38 PM 421 Views
It always is a little anti-climactic. - 16/04/2012 09:23:05 PM 345 Views

Reply to Message