Active Users:337 Time:16/05/2024 11:48:37 PM
Be grateful you were not going the other way. Joel Send a noteboard - 04/06/2012 07:56:23 PM
You continue making WY and MT sound as horrid as I always imagined, by the way. :P If the only difference between them and the Great Plains proper is being flat brown and black rock instead of flat brown and green fields, neither appeals to me much.

Wait until I hit New Mexico. I didn't know what desolate was yet at this point in the narrative.

People keep telling me NM has mountains though. Perhaps they are farther west than you were, like in MT and WY.

Just so you know, the part of OK we always avoided is widely known for hilly terrain leading to Arkansas' nearby Ozarks. You just happened to get the flat part of OK, where tornadoes plow unobstructed along the ground instead of hopping from hilltop to hilltop.

My original plan from a year ago was to travel through the Ozarks, which would have been neat, but alas it was not to be.

Next time. If you make it to Hot Springs, you can prospect for diamonds and sapphires at Crater of Diamonds state park, and keep what you find.

I somehow got the idea you came down through the Panhandle, but it sounds like you stayed on I-35 through DFW and past my moms house north of Austin (either that, or you swung a hard unnecessary right to I-40, but that makes no sense if you meant to reach the coast the next day.) I felt OKC fairly metropolitan (I even briefly thought I had managed to get lost,) but I went through just before midnight on a hurried half-day trip from Austin to Topeka. Here is hoping the construction I found on most of I-35 through OK (and north of DFW) was gone by the time you got there; its total absence was easily my favorite aspect of the Kansas Turnpike. ;)

Yeah, I went through Forth Worth and Austin on the way down, then took the panhandle route on the way back north, so I got to see it all (except I didn't have time to actually visit that far-eastern Texas you talk about, unfortunately). I don't even recall if I hit construction or not. I know there was a lot of it in Arizona, but I don't remember if there was much in Texas. I'm sure there must have been a little, but thinking on it, I believe it was mostly between Forth Worth and Austin. Which was a horrid stretch of highway, as I'll relate in the next part.

Perrys ill conceived Trans-Texas Corridor has FUBARed most of that areas highways. O^ However, I-35 between Austin and DFW has long been confusing due to the split into I-35E/W leading separately to Dallas and Ft. Worth, and its southern end being so FAR from both. Wikipedia claims I-35 Americas only divided interstate, a distinction it earns twice over since, coincidentally, 1000 miles north it runs through (and does the same thing in) the other great American twin city, Minneapolis-St. Paul. The two (or four) cities share nearly as many, and far less explicable, commonalities as TX and TN (e.g. the NHLs Dallas Stars began as the Minnesota North Stars.) Clarity in DFW is further obscured by no less than FOUR other interstates, and of course Hillsboro PD considers I-35 the towns primary revenue source.

Visiting Little D without visiting Big H, incidentally, is a crime against both God and man, not to mention oneself. :[

Looking forward to reading the rest, as you approach territory I know far better. I hope you at least briefly managed to visit the Piney Woods and bayous of south East Texas, the best part of the state. Honestly, I could cheerfully take that, the coast and the Rio Grande Valley and leave the rest. Of course, that would eliminate the ability to say TX has every terrestrial climate except tundra (which is hardly missed, as you surely understand.)

I don't know how you can even call yourself a state if you don't have tundra.

Again, it is hardly missed. For that matter, Panhandle winters occasionally do a fair impression, though usually spoiled by being too arid for even scrub grass.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Worlds only public diamond "mine" (though everything is on the surface.)
Reply to message
Eighteen Days in America, Part 2 - 03/06/2012 09:06:46 PM 682 Views
The history of the Cheyenne and the US is fascinating. - 04/06/2012 01:17:26 AM 469 Views
Re: The history of the Cheyenne and the US is fascinating. - 04/06/2012 04:39:16 PM 356 Views
Cool. - 04/06/2012 01:27:45 AM 404 Views
Re: Cool. - 04/06/2012 04:28:05 PM 457 Views
I also found that KS Turnpike remarkably simple to use. - 04/06/2012 02:46:28 AM 509 Views
Re: I also found that KS Turnpike remarkably simple to use. - 04/06/2012 04:33:40 PM 415 Views
Be grateful you were not going the other way. - 04/06/2012 07:56:23 PM 633 Views
Kansas - 04/06/2012 03:44:46 PM 580 Views
Re: Kansas - 04/06/2012 04:38:17 PM 541 Views
Cheerleaders and carwash. - 05/06/2012 04:59:57 PM 376 Views
I really hate driving through Nebraska, and Kansas. - 07/06/2012 10:05:07 PM 410 Views
Yeah, except for Kansas City, Kansas. *NM* - 08/06/2012 04:22:36 PM 177 Views
Just joshin', bro. - 09/06/2012 04:12:33 PM 451 Views

Reply to Message