Active Users:205 Time:18/05/2024 10:11:14 AM
Peytons lines started going downhill after the first SB; not coincidentally, so did his performance. Joel Send a noteboard - 17/09/2012 05:06:32 PM
He completely and utterly destroyed that defense one play at a time. I personally loved how frustrated he made Polamalu especially on the last two drives. Manning took the Steelers biggest impact player on defense completely out of being a factor on pretty much any play during those drives.

Physically Manning might be not quite where he was, though you couldn't tell in the second half really, but mentally and intellectually he hasn't missed a step. Oh, and I think trying the huddle was a failure. 3 drives going with a huddle amounted them something like 60 yards and no points. The last 4 drives or maybe it was 5 drives, were all hurry up and amounted to 25 points and almost 300 yards.

That has been my concern since we signed him: Not that he is <100%, but that our substandard line cannot keep him that way. They did a bang up job though, against a scary pass rush. The huddle was definitely not working early, but it was the first game of the season, the first game in two seasons for Manning, so hopefully the butterflies are settled now. If our D had not been so awful on third down that would have been a real beat down because, yes, after the first quarter we scored on every single drive except the kneel downs that ended each half. Not only that, but we reached the endzone on all but one of them. Had our defense not allowed the Steelers three 7 minute scoring drives the Broncos would probably still be putting points on the board.

It was weird; I went into the game expecting the D to play well (and except for third down, they did) but worried Mannings career might be over by half time.

Instead, our back up right guard and scrub center and left guard kept Mannings jersey clean, but the D could not get off the field on third and long. Fortunately for us, the Steelers dropped a lot of passes, and Roethlisberger simply did not see Mike Wallace open deep on a 3rd and 3 play in the fourth quarter, allowing us to extend out lead to six points intead of being down by four. Then of course the pick six sealed it, but 31-19 does not reflect how close that game was until the two minute warning, and when we have Peyton Manning scoring TDs on every drive but one it should be a blowout (in fact, Denver knows that better than perhaps anyone; Peyton doing that to us, especially in the playoffs, is why we traded for Clinton Portis and Champ Bailey, then spent our top three picks on cornerbacks.)

I think that for many years (Manning has alluded to it in the past) Manning has had subpar lines. But he is just that good. He knows how good or bad his line is and can adjust them as he sees fit. He literally makes his whole offense better.

Losing Tarik Glenn was a tremendous blow; the right-handed QBs need for a great LT has been well documented over the past decade, and the Colts gave up about eight more sacks the year after he left (23, which would be good for most teams, but from 2005-2010 Indys sack total was usually <15.) Mannings field vision, quick release and recognition of defensive formations mitigated that slightly, but also prompted teams to blitz him up the middle, where the loss of solid guard Ryan Lilja has been felt almost as keenly as the loss of Glenn.

Manning makes his whole team better, no question, but has never been mobile in any sense, notwithstanding his 7 yard run for a first down last week. Still, as critical as I have been of our line since McDumbass shredded it with hand-picked scrubs, Manning was only sacked twice last week, and one of those was his own fault for not recognizing Pitt was sending more blitzers than we had blockers. To his credit, the next time the Steelers called that defensive play he hit Demaryius Thomas on a quick screen that went 80 yards for a TD, with LG Zane Beadles (whom I absolutely despise as a blocker) lead-blocking 20 yards downfield.

I think he is further proving that with Tight Ends. Look at the tight ends who have been volatile to opposing defenses playing with Manning. Marcus Pollard went away as soon as he left Indy. Dallas Clark just hasn't done it without Manning. And now he's in Denver and making Tamme look pretty good. And last, along the same tight end line is his slot receiver (he uses slots and TE's as a crutch to great and devastating effect) use. Look for Stokley to have a great year again. Manning made him great once and will again.

Stokley was our whole offense for the first two series last week, and it is generally understood that he came out of retirement solely because his old QB was in town (on the other hand, Stokleys presence was reportedly among the reasons Manning came.) He was pretty good in Denver before Mannings arrival, but there is no denying the importance of the familiarity and comfort level he provides Manning.

I still expect Dreesen to be our star TE, but that is because I remember his play in Houston. Tight ends in the mold of Shannon Sharpe are vital since the rise of the 3-4 and short passing to multiple receivers. The two feed off each other, since defensive ends cannot cover tight ends like linebackers can, and tight ends can block linebackers far more effectively than they can defensive ends. Believe me, I am well aware of the potential; for many years Denver relied on D.J. Williams to cover Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzales twice a year, plus Dallas Clark and Daniel Graham when we played Indy and NE, and many of us are not looking forward to facing Gonzales tonight with DJ suspended (particularly since our starting MLB is awful in coverage.)

That said, I agree that Mannings augmentation of his teams manifests at TE more than anywhere except perhaps RB (many of us expect him to be as good for perennially fizzling Knowshon Moreno as for McGahee.) He is a master of the short multi-receiver passing game that makes them shine, and his skill with hot reads and offensive audibles only increases their potency. With Dreesen and Tamme at TE and Thomas, Stokley and Decker at WR I am more confident in our receivers than I have been in a long time, and think McGahee and Moreno will be an effective one-two punch at RB if both stay healthy. My only offensive concerns are:

1) Is Ryan Clady healthy enough to dominate at LT as he did in his first few seasons, or will he lead the league in holding like last year?

2) Is second year RT Orlando Franklin finally ready to start, or still just a road-grading guard (badly) impersonating a tackle?

3) When will we get back RG Chris Kuper, our only guard worthy of the name, and can backup Manny Ramirez carry the load until then?

4) Is LG Zane Beadles finally ready to start after doing so two full seasons, and will center J.D. Walton, who has played beside him just as long, EVER be ready?

That said, I cannot dispute they each played well last week; if our defense had played even half as well on third down we would have blown out Pitt.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
For the First Time Since I Can Remember, All My Teams Won. - 10/09/2012 05:50:40 AM 616 Views
Mine lost. - 10/09/2012 02:02:30 PM 619 Views
I may need to search for that on youtube. *NM* - 10/09/2012 02:42:02 PM 180 Views
Da Bears! *NM* - 10/09/2012 03:25:09 PM 181 Views
Cutler+Marshall was scary from Day One. - 10/09/2012 05:54:06 PM 424 Views
Vikings should have lost - 10/09/2012 04:56:57 PM 420 Views
Dump the Vikings and might happen fairly often - 10/09/2012 05:19:01 PM 359 Views
At least until December. - 10/09/2012 06:14:41 PM 519 Views
You don't like Schaub either? *NM* - 10/09/2012 07:23:10 PM 213 Views
Apparently everybody folds under pressure - 10/09/2012 07:35:32 PM 413 Views
Not everyone, but a depressingly large number of people. - 10/09/2012 07:58:19 PM 401 Views
Sorry to burst your Manning bubble but he DID ride his defense - 10/09/2012 08:25:00 PM 523 Views
you are trying to use facts again *NM* - 11/09/2012 02:27:21 AM 176 Views
Brees had more than a little help form his D - 11/09/2012 02:25:45 AM 374 Views
Nope, mostly for the same reasons. - 10/09/2012 07:54:28 PM 413 Views
I'm not really a fan of Schaub - 10/09/2012 08:30:17 PM 381 Views
Peyton Manning looked nigh on unstoppable in the second half. - 10/09/2012 06:38:07 PM 426 Views
Yeah, he was a machine, and the line protected him far better than I expected. - 10/09/2012 07:17:52 PM 488 Views
Re: Yeah, he was a machine, and the line protected him far better than I expected. - 17/09/2012 03:20:37 AM 417 Views
Peytons lines started going downhill after the first SB; not coincidentally, so did his performance. - 17/09/2012 05:06:32 PM 439 Views
All the teams I was rooting for won... except one. - 11/09/2012 01:08:56 AM 459 Views
Hates the dice forever! - 11/09/2012 02:35:59 AM 545 Views

Reply to Message