Active Users:311 Time:02/05/2024 05:55:27 PM
Sounds right to me. Joel Send a noteboard - 12/11/2012 08:19:52 PM
Of course, one of my copies of News from Nowhere never returned to me, and the other one I just loaned out.

As much as I can remember, he basically says that the two-party competition is in place to create the illusion of progress or conflict, when neither side really has any popular interest at heart and are probably working, if not together, at least not for the proles. Which is something I had felt for a long time before reading it.. But he really did a rather eloquent job to which I can do no justice here.

Is he saying both sides are actually working together to create tension and discord simply to keep each party happy and things as they are?

The thing about a two-party system is that it is not whether you win or lose but how you play the game (with apologies to moondog for wresting the old saw back to its original form.) As long as the two sides 1) maintain the conflict and 2) restrict it to each other, whichever one is currently out of power knows it must inevitably regain power by default when votes get sick of the current ruling party.

It is a pretty horrible recipe for accomplishing ANYTHING, because as soon as one party becomes the minority preventing those accomplishments (which would be to the majoritys credit) becomes its raison d'etre. National success/failure naturally (if seldom accurately) reflects most on the majority. National accomplishments further diminish the minority while national failure reverses its fortunes. Among the many things Romney and Kerry shared (definitely not including party) was dismay at a mild economic rebound that benefited the nation but doomed their campaigns. A nation with high unemployment and debt saw economic improvement, yet its would-be leaders—both the Dem then and the Republican now—denied and dismissed it BECAUSE IT HURT THEIR CAREERS.

So Ol' George was more or less right for the right reasons but, retooling another old saw, I submit that the cure for factionalisms ills is more factionalism. Another viable party—even ONE—precludes the other two simply sniping at each other and taking turns with a slack hand on the reins of power indefinitely.

The biggest evidence of that is negative campaigning. When there are only two options it is much easier (and safer) to demonize ones sole opposition than to take the risk of stating specific policy positions that may or may not be popular. The old addition by subtraction game; it is much easier to tear down an opponent than build up ones self. Of course, the traditional danger of mud-slinging is blowback, but in a two-party system one only needs to ensure they get more mud on their opponent than themselves to finish ahead of the game. Even one additional candidate changes that though, because if Candidate A publicly excoriates Candidate B but looks like an ass doing it, the clear winner is Candidate C by avoiding the whole fracass. Suddenly going negative is no longer enough: Winning demands constructive policies.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
This message last edited by Joel on 12/11/2012 at 08:22:38 PM
Reply to message
Election day always makes me think of George Washington's farewell address - 05/11/2012 10:47:10 PM 576 Views
We rightly revere George Washington. *NM* - 06/11/2012 03:26:32 PM 203 Views
William Morris had some interesting comments about the party system as well. - 06/11/2012 04:58:44 PM 499 Views
So he was saying both sides are purposely opposing each other? - 06/11/2012 05:14:25 PM 407 Views
Re: So he was saying both sides are purposely opposing each other? - 07/11/2012 05:43:49 PM 472 Views
Sounds right to me. - 12/11/2012 08:19:52 PM 423 Views

Reply to Message