Active Users:225 Time:19/05/2024 08:55:29 PM
Despite expressing sympathy for them on at least two occasions, Jesus is not "Palestinian." Joel Send a noteboard - 08/12/2012 03:48:10 PM
There is something odd about asserting national sovereignty rights based on a name originating from a conquerors map. ;) Regardless, Jesus' ancestry and culture was unambiguously Jewish; the closest He came to "Palestinian" was the encounter with the Samaritan woman at a well in the fourth chapter of Johns Gospel, and the parable of the Good Samaritan. Yet the "uncrossable chasm" between Jews and their Samaritan cousins even 2000 years ago, when they still shared a faith and acknowledged their distant kinship, does provide perspective on the modern conflict that lacks those commonalities.

Okay, I know it is just supposed to be a funny song, but also that it is chock full o' social commentary and political activism. I am happy to play that game, but not with a stacked deck. Saying we "really like Christmas" except for "all of the usual objections to the mis-education of children, who, in tax exempt institutions, are taught to externalize blame, and to feel ashamed, and to judge things as plain right or wrong" is contradictory. If Minchin just likes to party and/or hang out with family, fine, but those things are not unique to Christmas; disliking all things that ARE does not permit "really lik[ing] Christmas."

Feel free to explain how it is anything more than advanced cognitive dissonance to claim anything teaches shame AND externalized blame. We can debate whether Christianity teaches unaccountability or infinite baseless guilt; anyone claiming it teaches BOTH needs a course in remedial logic. Some things (many, in fact) truly are plain right and wrong (genocide is a popular and valid example; perspective and conditioning may explain but never excuse it.)

Seems like a case of "I really like your faiths parties; I just hate your faith." No one is obligated to adopt the faith, but attending its most important commemorations and complaining about their basis is just rude. At least he stopped (just) short of saying, "keep your Christ out of my Christmas."
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
I really like Christmas. It's sentimental, I know... - 03/12/2012 06:03:42 PM 461 Views
Re: I really like Christmas. It's sentimental, I know... - 04/12/2012 06:07:21 PM 528 Views
Re: I really like Christmas. It's sentimental, I know... - 04/12/2012 08:51:40 PM 342 Views
Despite expressing sympathy for them on at least two occasions, Jesus is not "Palestinian." - 08/12/2012 03:48:10 PM 249 Views

Reply to Message