Active Users:333 Time:15/05/2024 10:34:25 PM
"anyone other than those [with] a fringe position could consider it... preventing any compromise." Joel Send a noteboard - 19/01/2013 08:26:32 PM
Rather on the nose there, Larry. ;) I think the gun control debate reached the end of the path to Godwins Law when the OTHER fringe minority started "citing" and disseminating fabricated Hitler quotes lauding gun control measures he never enacted.

Both fringes feed off of and legitimize each other; that is the problem. The only reason anyone gives any credence to claims gun rights advocates want to let everyone stock pile arsenals sufficient to outfit a small army is because a small number of gun rights advocates openly and proudly demand just that. Likewise, the only reason anyone gives any credence to claims gun control advocates want to ban all guns is because a tiny number of gun control advocates openly and proudly demand just THAT. The vast majority of America opposing BOTH radical fringes would dismiss both as absurd were each not constantly justifying the others hyperbolic alarmism. The hate each other, yet perversely cooperate in preventing the effective reasonable gun control 90% of the country wants.

The good news is that I think the US public as a whole is starting to figure out the problem. The more both radical fringes speak of bans, the more they marginalize themselves with the vast majority opposed to both universally allowing OR banning guns. As it should be; irrational people only impair vital rational debate.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
In case you missed it, though it has been kicking around in variations for decades
This message last edited by Joel on 19/01/2013 at 08:27:21 PM
Reply to message
/Politics: I see the Second Amendment/gun control debate is sliding down toward Godwin's Law - 19/01/2013 03:06:23 PM 640 Views
Wow, just...wow. - 19/01/2013 04:17:49 PM 510 Views
"anyone other than those [with] a fringe position could consider it... preventing any compromise." - 19/01/2013 08:26:32 PM 506 Views
According to my husband... - 22/01/2013 04:34:37 AM 463 Views
Holy shit. You're alive. *NM* - 22/01/2013 08:24:00 AM 177 Views

Reply to Message