Active Users:251 Time:06/05/2024 06:45:59 AM
(Note: Two AMoL spoilers) Fair enough, I would not want you to tell tales out of school... Joel Send a noteboard - 25/02/2013 01:52:15 AM

... publicly.... :P

View original post
View original postWell, I have ranted about that often enough in response TO rants about my machine gun posting: Yeah, I have posted on RAFO more than anyone (Camilla is the only one whose total is even within a couple thousand,) mostly on the CMB, but am still a hair under 10K even here, and it did NOT take me 3.5 years to reach that mark at wotmania. Even then it only took two years to get ANOTHER 20K despite getting there literally in wotmanias last days, when it was less active than ever.

I like to tease you about that, but yeah, it's not like you're approaching 50K on this board, like a couple did on the wotmania CMBs ;) But monomania in posting is never healthy, I think :P

Quite rightly, too. I am no worse than ever though (if anything, just the opposite,) and would welcome a few (or lot) more contributions from others, not solely or even primarily to make my own less prominent. In that respect I did not mind my recent temp job cutting into online time, because I was concerned I might have been drowning out people who would be more active in my absence. I am unsure whether to be disappointed at learning that was not the case. :confused:

View original post
View original postThat was Grand Central Station compared to this CMB. I have slowed way down (especially the last few months) and am only hyperactive by COMPARISON. I know there is FB and such, the BMB is RAFOs intended centerpiece and the WoTMB gets most of the action whether anyone likes it or not, but... wow.... :(

Actually, until January, the Books board was receiving more, but that's deceptive. Six active posts (I set mine at 3 days to mimic what I had it on wotmania in order to note changes better) compared to five isn't a hive of activity at most anywhere. But these are but a third or so of what I think was the norm back in 2010, around a year after the switch.

Yeah, I stopped using 3 days because it turned up so few active threads, and that is grim given I never had that problem at wotmania even though I felt almost obliged to keep it at 1 day. It is hard for me to get a read on relative activity without really digging into it, because the BMB has been closing the gap with the WoTMB. Yet the CMB and WoTMB dominate site history, between them constituting ~67% of posts and 60% of views (at least last June, but the figures have changed little since: That is the PROBLEM.) Again, the BMB and TV&MMBs have closed the gap somewhat but it is hard to tell if they are more active or the CMB and WoTMB simply less so.

A Memory of Light has been out nearly two months, so the answer will come soon, but my big question remains "where are the newbs?" Their presence or absence ultimately determines whether the site survives.

View original post
View original postHuh, we are nearly the same age then; I never realized that, and am not sure I like it, all things considered. :P

Ha! I was one of the older wotmaniacs in October 2000 when I joined. But that was the difference between 26 and 15-19 in most cases. I don't the age difference, though: it allowed me to remember why my college years were better than many :P

I have been thinking about median member age a while, because it illustrates my point about newbs: In its prime, wotmania had many members in their late or even early teens; I doubt RAFO has even half a dozen <20. To the extent the site remains soley wotmaniac its days are numbered, but what is there to draw new members? I admit bias, but still contend most new members are on the WoTMB, because the series remains topical, but if its conclusion makes that more so now it also means that time must end soon, and permanently. Fom that limited admitted bias, I see little effort to use whatever time there is to attract WoT fans with diverse interests and attributes to make RAFO a vibrant eclectic community as others before them did wotmania.

It should be a lesson that nearly wotmaniac came for the books but stayed for the broader community, even after many came to actively loathe the series.

View original post
View original postLooks like you are right about the rest though. Usually that is dismissed with references to dedicated social media sites that did not exist a decade and a half ago, but I do not really buy that. At the risk of idealizing something whose genesis I did not witness, wotmania stuck together because its membership developed unique qualities in it they could not find at the various geocities and similar sites. Qualities certainly not present at Facebook or MySpace, with the generic LCD aspects wotmaniacs tend to abhor. Maybe we have moved past the need or desire for that, or get as much as we need of it by staying in touch with those we met at wotmania and chose to keep in our lives on some basis. I prefer that theory to believing it general disillusionment.

There are only four people I keep in semi-regular contact with outside this site: Dunja and her sister Maja, Oscar, and miki. Lost contact with three others that were dear to me at one time. The others haven't meant enough to me to warrant more than a passing thought. C'est la vie.

Indeed; relationships are two way streets, and it is always foolish to get more invested in one than the other person is (a lesson wotmania sometimes taught too well.) Sometimes it is better for all concerned if casual relationships remain so. Strong enduring ones can form anywhere, but strength makes their persistence independent of whether people remain where they first met.
View original postBut as for wotmania's earlier years, some of that may be true, but I think it was more just a place to visit between AIM/MSN Messenger for many. After October 2001, when OF began and I was soon the unofficial head of it (more like others deferred to me because I was more active and organized things), my main focus was on that section and not on the "social" aspects.

I guess that makes sense once a site begins to involve true official duties, but there were certainly plenty of people who made wotmania a huge part of (or even substitute for) their social lives, far too much so in some cases. I have no idea when that first became a big part of the site, since it was before my time, so I defer to those of you who were there on that.
View original post
View original postIt would be, had I not already made pretty much the same rough estimate on a different basis; instead it is just confirmation, though still appreciated for that. Like I say, it is taking me nearly twice as long to total 10K as it did at wotmanias lowest ebb, and all but about a handful of people are still working on 5K: The number I never deigned to acknowledge at wotmania because it was too low to merit mention.

The lowest ebb was actually (once the switch from Perl to this MB format occurred in May 2001) 2001-early 2002, when there would be about 50-75% of the volume of the next 5-6 years. Last year or so of wotmania wasn't as slow as its beginning, not by a longshot (and I missed the first two years of the site, or rather the first 18 months, as I would read the posts but not register to post for nearly a year in 2000).

Culture probably counts for a lot both in perception and reality: There was far less internet back then; fewer users to attract, but fewer places for them to go. Normalizing that may be no better than a guesstimate, but RAFO is a much smaller fish in a much bigger pond than wotmania was even on a slow day, which must be worrisome for anyone who wants RAFO to last.
View original postNot as much that (although it exists) as the book itself was underwhelming in terms of discussion potential. Only so many ways one can voice disapproval over Sanderson's prose and structural choices ;)

Sure, but there is plenty to debate about whether he or Jordan deserves the blame for various examples of each kind of choice. :P I honestly think most people are too hard on AMoL (the ones who do not automatically gush over it just because it bears Jordans name.) I do not deny it was underwhelming even by comparison to TGS, let alone the first half dozen books. However, that was inevitable in a finale many had awaited since 1990, written by a young author interpolating the deceased authors notes with a widow/editor and friend/publisher looking over his shoulder. It was not great, and certainly could have been better, but was not awful either.

In terms of discussion, most plotlines (some two decades old) were brought to conclusion. That is much to discuss; whether one likes a conclusion, finds it plausible, artful, moving, satisfying or would simply have preferred another. There are also enough loose ends for speculation (and not just the arguments about whether Rand really abandoned his girlfriends and children for good.) I am still tempted to dispute whether Jordans opus had nothing to say not already said better; his argument free will is impossible without evils existence evidently has never been stated often or well enough to end the ancient theodicy debate, and that is but one example.

The sole thing that really irked me was Bela, whose entire purpose from the series' first pages to its last was evidently to be constantly maligned by people whose lives she promptly saved through super-equine effort, with mild good humor throughout, then wrench some pathos from readers at the end. It would qualify as "Death by Newbery" if I thought for a second Olver had the potential to ever do anything more significant than burn an Aiel barn. :[

Returning to point, WoT has a huge fanbase whether it merits one or not, and that is a resource any successor to wotmania was almost obligated to embrace. RAFO may pay the ultimate price for contemptuously dismissing it as beneath the sites refined regard for high art such as Discworld. :rolleyes:

View original post
View original postYeah, the other MBs have been trending up, at least relative to themselvs and the CMB, for a year or two. It definitely looks much bleaker on the CMB than elsewhere, but I remain concerned about how many non-wotmaniac RAFOlk there are, and the percentage of them who are primarily or exclusively WoTMB posters. I still think RAFO made a mistake not developing a load of WoT content as a true heir to wotmania, and using the narrow window of opportunity during the final volumes to establish RAFO in its own right. But done is done, as Thom Merrilin once said, and the final WoT book has hit the stores; for good or ill, that opportunity is gone beyond recall, and RAFO must sink or swim without it.

No, the other boards have trended down over the past year, although not by much compared to 2012 (I had just under a post a day on the Books board for 2012 and a bit less than that so far this year).

I will take your word on their performance relative to themselves, but the CMB is a ghost town today compared to the BMB and TV&MMB, and it has nearly half the sites posts (until recently it was more than half.) If they are trending down relative to themselves though that answers my question: They are not attracting more attention, the CMB is just attracting less. I do not like to think what that means for RAFO in six months to a year when the flow of WoT fans looking for things like the WoTMB slows to a crawl for good.
View original postI don't think the WoT content was much of a choice, considering Mike had agreed beforehand with Jason to have some of the WoT theory/chapter summary content moved to Dragonmount. That kind of discourages replication here.

As does linda hosting much of her work (and M2Ks, I believe) at The Thirteenth Depository. That did force sid to run a one man show though, but I cannot help feeling other factors DID. Meh, it is what it is; complaining about the past is pointless, and feels seditious, so I have probably said far too much already. :blush:
View original postBut there's a larger issue than that that I'm reticent to discuss at length.

No worries, you of course have no obligation to do so, even it amuses me to tease you a bit about it (turn about is fair play, after all. ;))
View original post
View original postI still hope for the best, but have been increasingly convinced for a while this might prove a case of "be careful what you wish for." Shedding most wotmania Admins, Chat, WoT and "spec fic" (a term I still consider redundant) in general leaves little BUT a listless hulk. The CMB has about half RAFOs posts, and look at it. The WoTMB is next with about a third as many, but was only grudgingly included in RAFOs creation, and many will still be overjoyed to see it fade away with the last books release (90% of non-wotmaniac RAFOlk will not be pleased to see it go, which must be SOMEWHAT ominous.) The BMB, RAFOs focus, still lags slightly behind it, and the TV&MMB slightly behind that. It has about as many posts as The GMB and RPGMB combined, but that is only 27K. In 3.5 years.

If you delve deeper, you'll notice that the majority of the Books board posts are by 5-6 people. Slightly higher than that for the WoT MB. I suspect it's the same for the other boards. It would not surprise me if there are no more than 40-50 "regular" posters spread between all the MBs.

Sounds right. There just is not much unique and appealing to distinguish RAFO from thousands of similar sites. The one thing most people cite is format, but what most wotmaniacs consider a benefit nearly everyone else considers a major detriment. At the risk of again doing the very thing I just said I have done too much, I still think, if we had to abandon TWoT, focusing at least on "speculative fiction" (still hate that term, still consider it redundant) rather than ALL books would have been better. That is just too wide a net to cast, with too much competition. The same would have largely been true with fantasy, high fantasy, SF or a combination (as you surely know,) but as it stands even Amazons reviews technically qualify it as a "competitor" whose recognition and resources RAFO not only will but CAN never match.
View original post
View original postI will say the last time I checked the BMB and TV&MMBs share of RAFOs had grown significantly since the first year, but cannot be sure if that represents real growth or the CMB and WoTMBs rapid decline. I cannot help recalling the discussion a few months ago about whether maintaing the MB splits wotmania developed was wise even though RAFO has NOTHING like the same traffic. Reckon we shall see, but purging everyone and everything deemed undesirable has not exactly paid huge dividends thus far. We can preserve the interface with a different default color scheme (that was easy enough to remedy ;)) but there is a limit too how much of wotmania we can shake off our shoes and still maintain any but a superficial link to the past.

No, they've dropped (I've paid attention year to year). In 2011, for example, I had nearly 500 posts on the Books MB and that was barely in the Top 3. In 2012, I had around 350 and was the top poster.

So the other MBs are declining, too, the CMB and WoTMBs (wotmanias mainstays, and initially RAFOs) are simply declining much faster. Not good news at all.
View original postThe board splits I don't think is a major problem. The interface, however, is. If it's not "familiar" to people trying to decide which forum to join (provided that forums themselves aren't going the way of the dinosaur - Westeros, however, still seems to be as active as ever and I'm a regular on their Literature subforum), then why bother? There's no "book" hook anymore, the layout is atrocious and outdated, and the populace isn't exactly all that knowledgeable about current SF/F books as a whole. Why go here when Westeros, for example, has a more familiar layout, more features for "free," plus there are regular discussions of a wide range of books? During OF's heyday, I made sure there were regular interviews and it was a friendly place for the then-nascent book bloggers to post their reviews, mention contests, etc. Nowadays, leaving aside myself, there's only one prominent SF/F online reviewer, Adam/Werthead, who posts anything here; there is no incentive for the others to do so. I know I have to muster energy to hand-code HTML to replicate the look of my blog's reviews here; I don't have to do that elsewhere. It's just so user-unfriendly at this site.

The problem with separating all MBs even though RAFO has nothing like wotmanias traffic is it makes the site look even deader than it is, so new people do the same thing most old ones usually do: Load a MB, see a message stating, "there have been 3 new posts since FDR was president," and move on to someplace they can interact with people. Splitting MBs only made sense when at least two had enough new posts to interfere with each other, hardly a danger RAFO faces. Instead, RAFO divides its few posters between SIX separate MBs; you just estimated (pretty accurately, I suspect) there are only 30-40 regular posters, so what does that make the average per MB? Let us cut to the chase:

In the last 24 hours there were:

3 BMB posts, 1 WoTMB post, 3 TV&MMB posts, 0 GMB posts, 9 RPGMB posts and 3 CMB posts. That is <1/hour, for the whole site.

In the last week:

31 BMB posts, 17 WoTMB posts, 11 TV&MMB posts, 0 GMB posts, 67 RPGMB posts and 27 CMB posts. Again <1/hour, for the whole site.

"Quality over quantity" is one thing, but Stalin supposedly said, "quantity has a quality all its own." Where quantity is absent quality necessarily is, too.

The format definitely does not help that either, but you know better than I that is beating a dead horse. The very thing making it suicidal makes it immutable: The vast majority of wotmaniacs cherish it as familiar even while the vast majority of internet users abhor it as unfamiliar, awkward and cumbersome. I have NEVER liked that responding to one or two lines in a half dozen posts from one thread requires a separate reply to each. When three people make the same obviously and/or factually flawed argument in separate posts, a single group response is impossible: One must respond to each individually or hope each checks every new post in the thread (whether or not notified of a response,) else only one will ever see the response.

The same is of course true when stating agreement, elaboration or documented support. It is not "intimate," it is "schizoid." The irony is if the format did not do well discourage new members there would probably be tremendous hue and cry to change it by now. That is without addressing things like quote tags that lack names and quickly get confusing when more than three deep, or html brackets different from the standard for nearly every site online. Nested threads are a huge headache for everyone except those who inexplicably insist online communication is possible by no other means.

View original post
View original postOn the other hand, shaking things off ones shoes is pretty much the exact opposite of preserving, let alone reliving, the past. Onward and upward, and hopefully we do not meet a Russian meteorite along the way. :)

Ha! Starting this week, I'm about to be a lot busier in my professional life, so there won't be much time for visits, much less reflections :P

And so it goes....

Sooner or later that will happen to all of us, as it has been doing for some time, and it no bad thing; there is far more to life than websites. With regard to the site though, unless someone is there to fill the gap RAFO will become even more of a ghost town that it already is. May your endeavors, professional and otherwise, go well; if we do not speak again soon, rest assured it has been a pleasure and honor, even (sometimes especially) when we disagreed.

Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
This message last edited by Joel on 25/02/2013 at 02:02:51 AM
Reply to message
Hello? Is there anybody alive out there? *NM* - 17/02/2013 02:13:29 AM 554 Views
"Frequent posters: In the last year moondog: 67" - 17/02/2013 03:21:02 AM 553 Views
That's just since Jan 1st - 17/02/2013 03:38:31 AM 562 Views
Ah, that is slightly better (if slightly confusing) then. - 17/02/2013 04:37:46 AM 504 Views
Yeah it confused me too but my own stats staring me in the face helped - 17/02/2013 04:27:23 PM 534 Views
Huh, I never realized the message count was not specific to each board. - 17/02/2013 11:25:32 PM 523 Views
Each wotmania board had their own stats numbers - 19/02/2013 12:43:26 AM 514 Views
Glad to know I did not imagine it; thanks. - 19/02/2013 03:03:43 AM 577 Views
Oh, there's more that I'm choosing not to say - 19/02/2013 06:12:02 AM 633 Views
(Note: Two AMoL spoilers) Fair enough, I would not want you to tell tales out of school... - 25/02/2013 01:52:15 AM 768 Views
just nod if you can hear me. is there anyone home? *NM* - 17/02/2013 06:31:32 AM 253 Views
*crash and swearing* ....You heard nothing! *NM* - 17/02/2013 10:00:36 AM 247 Views
There is no pain, you are receding. *NM* - 17/02/2013 12:39:00 PM 308 Views
I'm alive. - 17/02/2013 09:49:36 AM 547 Views
Still stinging from the Battle of Saratoga; I understand. - 17/02/2013 11:20:25 PM 523 Views
I don't really drink tea. - 19/02/2013 09:14:42 AM 524 Views
*blows whistle* *NM* - 17/02/2013 09:56:17 AM 352 Views
If you're out there - 17/02/2013 10:21:52 AM 496 Views
I'm alive. - 17/02/2013 01:35:46 PM 555 Views
Lately, haven't been in the mood/been too busy to post - 17/02/2013 08:04:15 PM 472 Views
No. I am a server glitch. - 18/02/2013 01:17:46 AM 542 Views

Reply to Message