Active Users:314 Time:02/05/2024 11:54:58 AM
Re: This is like a whole new kind of dumb, "Premeditated Idiocy" vandevere Send a noteboard - 23/05/2013 07:28:26 PM

View original post
View original post
At least when a ganger beats someone up for 'dissing him' there's a logic to bragging about it, the crime was part of a greater motivation to be feared and respected and that requires advertising. Ditto, someone forgetting to wear gloves during a robbery is guilty of "Stupidity by Oversight" and dumb things during a crime can be partially excused by a need to rush or fear, adrenaline, and anxiety clouding thought.

These are like taking an ad out in the newspaper "I, Jon Smith of 314 Pie Ave, engaged in aggravated assault yesterday afternoon on a homeless man in Grove Park, using a baseball bat in my trunk."

Though it does strike me as a great way to frame someone.

It really is.

I wonder if it's partly because in some of these cases they don't look at what they've done as a "crime" per se, but just as some annoying/quirky/dumb/funny(?) thing that happened to them and exactly the sort of thing all their social media followers would love to hear about? Part of a larger trend of social media narcissism and the filter that only makes things important/interesting based on how they affect one's self, paradoxically combined with general internet anonymity and the expectation that ones friends will agree with and be loyal to you.

Or, they could just be morons

Personally I think they're both.

Narcissism and stupidity blended together in one big, and smelly pot.

If the human brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't understand it.
Reply to message
Alleged Hit-and-Run Driver Brags on Twitter, Joins Other 'Crime-Braggers' - 23/05/2013 03:09:46 AM 995 Views
I do hate people at times. - 23/05/2013 04:56:44 PM 484 Views
This is like a whole new kind of dumb, "Premeditated Idiocy" - 23/05/2013 06:10:58 PM 555 Views
Re: This is like a whole new kind of dumb, "Premeditated Idiocy" - 23/05/2013 06:50:23 PM 515 Views
Re: This is like a whole new kind of dumb, "Premeditated Idiocy" - 23/05/2013 07:28:26 PM 1002 Views
You're probably onto something with the narcissim aspect - 23/05/2013 09:03:06 PM 551 Views

Reply to Message