Active Users:318 Time:06/05/2024 01:58:32 AM
not sure I would go with MDF random thoughts Send a noteboard - 06/08/2013 12:54:28 AM

It is isn't particularly strong and does not handle moisture at all. I would go with either 1/2 plywood or OSB. If you go with OSB look for one with a tongue and groove and that will help keep people from getting pinched by a shifting floor that creates a gap that closes on them. Either will need paint or some coating to keep people who dance bare footed form getting splinters.

I am not sure what you are doing on the electronics side but you are basically building a subfloor and it needs to be strong enough to support multiple people who are dancing. I would place it all on a frame that is solidly built with 2X4 joist every 16". You can go 20" if it isn't meant o be used a lot and there will not be a lot of jumping but it won't save you much on a project this size. Put the supports short ways across the flooring not long ways. Use 3" screws to hold down the flooring and reinforce the out side corners by putting a supporting 2X4 diagonally across the corners. It wouldn't hurt to use a metal bracket on the outside because you don't want the frame separating.

If it is too heavy to move considering making it in two pieces that bolt together. Don't forget the it has to be square and flat or it will rock when people get on it.

All that is assuming this thing will have multiple people standing and jumping on this thing and it is expected to last for more than one or two uses. Keep in mind you are basically building a subfloor like one that would be installed in a basement so look around and see if you can find plans for that.

Reply to message
So I'm going to try and build a dance floor... - 05/08/2013 08:58:54 PM 497 Views
not sure I would go with MDF - 06/08/2013 12:54:28 AM 464 Views
I have no advice, but would like picts when you are done. *NM* - 07/08/2013 06:52:55 AM 196 Views
If I don't end up changing my mind, I'll totally document it all! *NM* - 07/08/2013 01:05:32 PM 185 Views
ditto, party at Foxes! *NM* - 07/08/2013 06:49:32 PM 313 Views

Reply to Message