Active Users:303 Time:04/05/2024 02:39:57 AM
If you're talking about the writing, it's still there. Fox and Ravens Send a noteboard - 29/08/2013 01:58:00 PM

It's 2 sections, "Analyze an issue" and "Analyze an argument." SO far they're not too horrible but the writing is definitely my weak point.

View original post
Take the practice tests (tons online) to get comfortable with it and to help catch your weak points but the simple reality is that it tests for stuff you can't really cram on. I went in and smashed the thing with a major headache and very little study since I'd already been unofficially but definitely accepted to grad school and for a long while I wondered how much higher I'd have scored if I'd studied more and gone in sans migraine. Eventually I realized the answer was "Probably only a little higher" because at most it would have bought me a bit more time to review questions I was botching and staring at and rarely did I produce an answer to one of those even with the extra time. My basic knowledge was totally intact and built on years of study, not weeks of cramming, and my test taking habits had long since mutated from my youthful haste to the method of slow, steady checking and rechecking and coming back and checking again until the test time ran out.

I'm not saying not to study, to the contrary I'd suggest taking practice tests and reviewing the stuff you messed up on until you're comfortable or even bored of the material, but that just brushes off the rust and relaxes you about taking the test. But you can't cram for comprehensive multi-field subjects trying to measure your entire academic progress.

Okay, that all makes sense. I kind of had the same feeling.

Go Hokies!

CS/CpE. Yay engineering!
Reply to message
Does anyone have advice for taking the GRE/applying to grad school? - 27/08/2013 02:06:40 PM 664 Views
Get one of the study guides. - 28/08/2013 02:14:50 PM 812 Views
Re: Get one of the study guides. - 29/08/2013 01:58:41 PM 567 Views
I gather they dropped the analytic section so there's not much to study anymore - 29/08/2013 05:00:01 AM 572 Views
If you're talking about the writing, it's still there. - 29/08/2013 01:58:00 PM 501 Views
Just a few general notes. - 29/08/2013 03:25:19 PM 638 Views

Reply to Message