Active Users:333 Time:29/04/2024 03:03:25 PM
After usage? yeah Isaac Send a noteboard - 06/12/2013 05:03:59 AM

View original postI mean, you'd think that simply "if you use it a few times, you will get physically addicted and your body will demand that you obtain more of it, regardless of the fortunes it will cost you and the massive risks you will run of either falling afoul of the law or getting caught up in other criminal activities" would do the trick. It's not necessarily about health as such, it's about the health risk AND the very high probability of finding yourself compelled to waste ever more money on it AND the increasing risk of finding yourself in jail one day in the near future - or dead.

Those are the standard arguments, they may be effective for some, they certainly help discourage many who haven't used yet or used only lightly and intermittently, but they obviously aren't 100% effective and everyone knows them, so someone still using presumably didn't find them compelling enough. They might be real close, and maybe on the downward spiral they'll eventually be enough, but the goal is to catch as many people as close to the top of the spiral as possible. I think you're ignoring the victimhood aspect too, drugs are actually insanely cheap, government regulations and taxes make them expensive, and people know this. Tobacco, coffee, cocaine, opium, are all things that with modern tech barring if legal and not sin taxed could be supported as habits for the price of a can of soda a day. To them, especially with the addiction in place, the price and social costs are externally imposed and it is not actually illogical to resent that nor to counter 'people commit crimes on it' with the exact same argument used for booze, "If and when I do that becomes an issue". We use a 'For your own good' approach that while legitimate often comes off smug and wrong-headed, and thus ineffective. If you can offer them a clear 'for your own good, your choice' that doesn't revolve around dim and distant futures or costs that exist because society imposes them, I'd think they'd be more effective, and they can be supplemental rather than substitutes.

View original postOf course, that only goes for the really hard drugs - it won't stop anyone from snorting the occasional line of coke, if they hang out in the kind of circles where that is considered acceptable.

They'll generally gravitate to circles where it is acceptable, which of course has the other problem that it tend snot to just be acceptable but encouraged and reinforced and twinned to other 'acceptable here' crimes like robbery and fraud.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
Compelling Arguments - 02/12/2013 12:03:23 PM 761 Views
Hmm, interesting. - 04/12/2013 09:22:06 PM 344 Views
Re: Hmm, interesting. - 05/12/2013 12:11:35 AM 324 Views
I remember you *NM* - 05/12/2013 08:59:13 AM 134 Views
Yeah? Cool. What was your screen name? *NM* - 05/12/2013 04:20:44 PM 145 Views
Is it really that hard to find compelling arguments against (hard) drug use? - 05/12/2013 09:45:22 PM 303 Views
After usage? yeah - 06/12/2013 05:03:59 AM 351 Views
I'm gonna go with, clearly, yes, it is. *NM* - 06/12/2013 06:27:24 AM 146 Views

Reply to Message