Active Users:373 Time:16/05/2024 11:08:57 PM
Huh. I never knew about the outright ban in Chicago. Dannymac Send a noteboard - 21/01/2014 04:58:12 AM

It's pretty old, apparently. You almost wonder if the reason it took this long was because that was just the way it always was. Race probably plays a big role as well, but like any artifact of the Daley era it may simply have taken this long to get it to court.

Yeah, I can't really see a city ban on firearms working at all. I mean, ok, you ban guns, so your citizens have to go to Gary for all their firearms needs? That's just, what, an hour or so on the El?

It will be interesting to see, in a few years or so, what effect this has on Chicago business. Do gun stores open up? Do existing merchants just start carrying firearms? Does anyone buy from them, given that the solution the city will probably come up with is taxing the hell out of them?

But yeah, the judge got this one right. I'll argue all day in favor of background checks, waiting periods, etc, but there isn't much to debate here... an outright ban violates the 2nd Amendment.

But seriously, the city of Chicago banned the sale of firearms outright and it hardly ever came up over four decades?

Eschew Verbosity
Reply to message
Federal judge shoots down Chicago gun sales ban - - 19/01/2014 07:24:24 PM 399 Views
I'm not sure it matter in regards to crime - 20/01/2014 05:23:40 AM 291 Views
Huh. I never knew about the outright ban in Chicago. - 21/01/2014 04:58:12 AM 317 Views

Reply to Message