Active Users:355 Time:03/05/2024 11:48:38 AM
Re: It's certainly not about a lack of money. kHz1000 Send a noteboard - 27/01/2014 09:29:37 PM

View original post
View original postAnd Russia is pretty close to a 3rd world country now. And yes, why the hell would anyone pick that location for a "winter" event?

View original postIn fact, I seem to recall reading recently (Wikipedia confirms it) that Sochi, somehow, has managed to break Beijing's record for most expensive Olympics ever - and for Winter games with half the events if not even less, that's really sad. It seems to be a combination of the bizarre choice of venue, forcing Russia to build just about all infrastructure from scratch, and the boundary-pushing levels of corruption with roads to nowhere and whatnot. Which leads one to suspect that at the end of the day the people of Sochi won't necessarily have that much left after the games from all those huge investments made.

Yeah, someone joked about spending massive amounts of money to build winter sports arenas to the only Russian city where there is neither snow or winter sports

I read that the actual sports arenas and rinks and whatever only cost 5 milliard euros but the cost rises to 38 mrd euro w/ the infrastructure. And even that's a gross understatement.
Apparently the road they're building cost more per kilometer than CERN's LHC.

As for why they chose Sochi, apparently Russian leaders from Stalin to Putin have all just loved the place.

View original postRussia still has plenty of gas money to spend on prestige projects, just like China does, and right now the Russian GDP per person is still comfortably ahead of China's. For how much longer, that's another question. The difference is more that the Chinese authorities seem much more concerned with their reputation, both in the eyes of their own population and in those of foreign countries, and keep a much closer lid on corruption or really blatant abuses of power. Putin doesn't give a damn about how people see him, as long as they respect his strength. And that, I suspect, is why you're inclined to see Russia as a 3rd world country more than China even though it's nearly twice as rich on a per capita (PPP) basis.

Russia has enough natural resources that their standard of living could far exceed that of Americans. OK, that won't happen because of greed and stupidity but calling them a 3rd world contry

I stopped caring about the gay issue when the media started posting pictures of Russian men's restrooms w/ toilets side by side. It just got ridiculous. Might as well mention that I'm sleeping with a Russian dude. Probably should ask what he thinks, though I can't see him caring much either.

Reply to message
Olympics - Sochi? - - 27/01/2014 03:52:40 PM 654 Views
We'll have to wait and see, but it looked like a PR disaster waiting to happen from the start. - 27/01/2014 06:19:43 PM 388 Views
True with Beijing, but China had the money to fix those problems..... - 27/01/2014 08:10:53 PM 439 Views
It's certainly not about a lack of money. - 27/01/2014 08:41:33 PM 368 Views
Re: It's certainly not about a lack of money. - 27/01/2014 09:29:37 PM 525 Views
I think GDP is more important that GDP per person..... - 28/01/2014 03:39:26 AM 376 Views
I think it also speaks for the corruption in the IOC - 28/01/2014 01:14:40 PM 601 Views
Well Rio was selected via bribery, I think that is a pretty well known fact..... *NM* - 28/01/2014 03:16:12 PM 151 Views
Really? It goes beyond just accusations? - 28/01/2014 06:27:22 PM 450 Views
The Qatar FIFA World Cup, too *NM* - 30/01/2014 03:53:20 PM 148 Views

Reply to Message