Active Users:425 Time:26/04/2024 01:57:27 AM
You'll miss those electives, trust me Isaac Send a noteboard - 28/01/2014 05:27:15 PM

View original postLosing....focus. Don't....care.

View original postI can't wait to actually start a master's degree where the vast majority of the subject matter is actually relevant to what I care about. No bullshit classes that I need just for an elective. I don't even have to care about multimedia because hey, I won't even be in CS.

I burned up all my non-physics courses early on because I started at a branch campus mostly setup for 2 year degrees on account of my age. When I turned 18 and the family was okay with me moving away I literally had 5 classes left that weren't physics, and one of those was Partial Diff-Eq math, which might as well be. That left me intro chem 1 & 2, which was also damn nearly physics, and German 1 & 2 and I suck at languages. Not fun. 4-5 physics courses each semester all in the same two near-identical adjacent rooms with the same people who I also studied with in the evenings, though we did usually have fun, followed by two more years of class work in grad school in those same two rooms because I stuck at the same school. Thank God a lot of my non-physics friends were still undergrads that first year of grad school or I'd have gone totally nuts, and I began deliberately cultivating friends like they were electives. It really is important, IMO, to keep up regular contact with other fields and studiers of it or you start turning into one of those field isolationists.

Long and short of it being I'd actually suggest auditing a medium difficult, like soph/junior, level course every semester or at least every year, or making event and socials that stick non-Computer people with brains in a room with you, for the sake of sanity and a well-rounded mind, you tend to get good ideas that way too, someone will suggest some application relevant to your own field you just wouldn't have seen otherwise..

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
Last semester of my 5 year undergrad... - 28/01/2014 03:14:47 PM 765 Views
5 years? What major? Better be a dual degree program..... - 28/01/2014 03:18:09 PM 620 Views
Re: 5 years? What major? Better be a dual degree program..... - 28/01/2014 03:42:46 PM 589 Views
Okay, that checks out..... - 28/01/2014 04:06:23 PM 640 Views
You'll miss those electives, trust me - 28/01/2014 05:27:15 PM 591 Views

Reply to Message