Active Users:238 Time:09/05/2024 02:02:12 AM
after all these years, i think i finally understand a2k now moondog Send a noteboard - 09/07/2014 06:00:33 PM

Most men would rather shock themselves than be alone with their thoughts

People, and especially men, hate being alone with their thoughts so much that they’d rather be in pain. In a study published in Science Thursday on the ability of people to let their minds “wander” — that is, for them to sit and do nothing but think — researchers found that about a quarter of women and two-thirds of men chose electric shocks over their own company.

“We went into this thinking that mind wandering wouldn’t be that hard,” said Timothy Wilson, University of Virginia professor of psychology and lead author of the study. “People usually think of mind wandering as being a bad thing, because it interrupts when you’re trying to pay attention. But we wanted to see what happens when mind wandering is the goal.”

Wilson didn’t think his subjects would struggle with the task. “We have this big brain full of pleasant memories, and we’re able to tell ourselves stories and make up fantasies. But despite that, we kept finding that people didn’t like it much and found it hard.”

"The RIAA has shown a certain disregard for the creative people of the industry in their eagerness to protect the revenues of the record companies." -- Frank Zappa

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
article
Reply to message
after all these years, i think i finally understand a2k now - 09/07/2014 06:00:33 PM 621 Views
I'm grateful to feel at home with my own thoughts. - 09/07/2014 06:41:28 PM 636 Views
I would much rather see the scientific paper itself - 11/07/2014 10:11:25 AM 471 Views

Reply to Message