Active Users:366 Time:27/04/2024 06:27:27 AM
I dread a Clinton or a Trump presidency Roland00 Send a noteboard - 18/08/2015 03:37:53 PM

The reason why I would dread a Trump presidency is obvious.

I honestly think Clinton with the right form of team behind her could be a great president. I would say the same thing about Obama, with a great team behind him he could be a great president.

But Obama (as well as Bush) makes it painfully obvious how disastrous your presidency can be if you do not have a team to keep the trains running on time and not go off the rails, let alone when the unexpected happens and suddenly you are now trying to make sense of the world that is upside down. That has been Obama strength he does not panic when chaos happens. Obama problem is that while he does not panic, he does not know how to close the deal, or to force a change of viewpoint when he has an opposition standing in his way. Thus the status quo stays in place and we talk about years over nonsense. We almost jettison our economy by almost defaulting on the debt that we already accrued but refused to pay for we fought not over the actual budget but instead how we feel about the budget. Instead of finishing the issue in 2011, we postpone that and then had a 2 year nonsense battle where we told the market we still have not fixed the problem and then we got the sequester. The sequester was an insignificant cut in the federal budget, yet it did have severe problems for some programs for they were flat cuts until congress finally decided to allow some flexibility, and in the end we only save about 80 billion a year yet we create an era of uncertainty that hurts short term growth, and did nothing really to fix long term growth. All the while we fought over nothing, Obama and his departments while they were not imploding they were not showing core competence with boomdoogles with the healthcare.gov and once again the goverment is not taking care of our veterans once they got home as evident by the VA scandal which merely showed we still have not made progress on an issue that is over a decade old. There are many other Obama minor scandals but I point out those two in particular for Obama is supposed to be showing us that government can work, but when push comes to shove Obama sucks at picking the right people under him to make sure goals are actually meet and that we can show that government can work. Those were supposedly Obama crown domestic agenda, and the second something everyone supposedly cares about, yet creating a proactive system to establish goals, but also accountability when those goals are not met, prior to the thing becoming a crisis shows that with Obama obviously the buck does not stop here.

Clinton whole stick is that she is supposedly incredible at policy (though this is half mythology) and she will fight and ram things through to make sure that we will actually get things done and not be clenching by a wire edge barely finishing or getting by at the last minute. Clinton never had a knack for charisma or messaging she just says judge me by my results.

What flat out scares me about Clinton is she does not think well during a panicky situation, when she thinks someone is out to get her she just digs in and gets nasty like a dog in the corner. Well this can be quite scary during foreign policy during moments of crisis, Clinton may be good at the foreign policy stuff most of the time, but during a moment of crisis with Putin annexing Crimea would Clinton still exercise good judgement? I am not sure for she makes everything personal, yes the Republicans are out to get her, but by making everything personal you make things worse not better, only by playing above the game can you make real progress as president, and during foreign policy crisis making things personal gets soldiers killed and maybe citizens in the US.

And as evident by E-Mail Gate she does not necessarily pick the right staff or does everything by the book automatically, so her claiming to get the trains on time really can't no longer be said to be true, pronouncing it true blindly is willful ignorance and/or propaganda to your base and trying to change swing voters with pretty marketing imaging. There was several points of failure with e-mail gate, it should not have happen, yet it did.

This is not me saying I like the other 16 or so Republican Candidates. There are plenty of clueless people on the stage, but at the same time I am starting to gag when I think of all the lost opportunities and how we are now screwing up on the stupid stuff that we should not screw up, and we are now arguing over nonsense.

My biggest fear is that we now will get a crappy goverment that does not work on the stuff it is supposed to get done domestically, and to add to the fact we elect a leader who acts stupidly in a foreign policy fashion and we get stuck with another quagmire that kills thousands of American soldiers and leads to the deaths of millions of worlds citizens through indirect means. 2 quagmires with Vietnam and Iraq in the last 50 years is enough, I do not want a third for we elect someone who will mess things up when the going gets tough. Trump as president would be a hand smacking mistake, but I am no longer confident in any of Clinton's abilities and her hawk nature with foreign policy and how she takes things personally does not make me trust her with a hand over the red button but also on the slow trainwrecks of foreign policy interventions without no strategy and more importantly no team of followers to make the actual government work. If you do the military intervention you have to realize it is easy to blow things up, but blowing things up is only the 1st step, the 2nd step is creating institutions and creating international institutions is 10x than doing domestic policy such as creating a website or figuring out how to get soldiers to doctors to treat their PTSD and Mental Issues, as well as the numerous physical issues that occur when you have wounded veterans. The VA is merely 280,000 doctors and staff and an existing infrastructure serving about 20 million american who are family to the rest of the 280 million Americans. International Institutions are new infrastructures that do not exist and you are corralling other countries I mean cats, whose views and self interest often differ from your own, like I said earlier it is 10x harder than making existing domestic institutions work.

Reply to message
So if Donald Trump is Biff Tannin from Back to the Future, and Bernie Sanders is Doc Brown, who is? - 17/08/2015 05:41:36 AM 1048 Views
He is America - 17/08/2015 07:14:22 AM 578 Views
The plucky underdog who saves the day? - 17/08/2015 01:44:00 PM 595 Views
I dread a Clinton or a Trump presidency - 18/08/2015 03:37:53 PM 490 Views

Reply to Message