Active Users:192 Time:17/05/2024 08:41:30 AM
Writing your own marriage vows is like spending the wedding night masturbating. Cannoli Send a noteboard - 16/07/2016 07:11:32 PM

I've been on vacation for two weeks. It's been fun. But I've been exposed to a lot of TV I wouldn't ordinarily watch. Because it's bad form to throw the TV out the front window of the rental house. "Say Yes to the Dress" has to be a sign of the apocalypse. And it doesn't really surprise me that most of these idiots are the type to think writing their own vows is sweet, but I had my titular insight while watching one of those stories' happy ending.

If you are going to write your own vows, why bother with the wedding ceremony in the first place? If you are that much of a free thinker, or that determined to express yourself, why do you need external validation? And by the same token, if a wedding ceremony is important to you, why is it important to change wording of the vows at the heart of it? It's like buying a Wheel of Time book and asking to replace the pages with a different author's work. It's like attending Beethoven's 9th Symphony and asking to the choir to sing a song you wrote, instead of Schiller's lyrics.

I don't get it.

Cannoli
“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” GK Chesteron
Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye!
Deus Vult!
*MySmiley*
Reply to message
Writing your own marriage vows is like spending the wedding night masturbating. - 16/07/2016 07:11:32 PM 614 Views
Or like painting the walls of the house you bought a colour you like - 18/07/2016 12:42:12 PM 594 Views
I suppose that's the difference in perspective on the whole thing. - 18/07/2016 11:07:25 PM 506 Views

Reply to Message