Active Users:258 Time:06/05/2024 10:30:53 AM
right, he said "could not prosecute" but the effect is still no trial will be forthcoming moondog Send a noteboard - 07/11/2016 08:25:16 PM

View original post
He said that the FBI found no new evidence to date that would justify bringing an indictment. I disagree with his conclusion as most prosecutors would see prima facie evidence for an indictment in several matters where the Clinton Foundation received large donations from donors with matters before the State Department (the Etihad/UAE matter, Uranium One, UBS Bank and the oil company involved in the territorial waters of Haiti where Hillary's brother is on the board all come to mind immediately, though I am sure there are others).

However, even if I were not to disagree with the conclusion regarding the propriety of an indictment, there is a world of difference from "we do not see evidence rising to a level justifying indictment" and "Hillary Clinton has not committed any crimes". Comey has done his job with professionalism and won't be charged under the Hatch Act. Even the Clintons aren't that stupidly vindictive.

to your first point: yet again the proof has not materialized that donations to the Clinton Foundation had any bearing on business before the State Department. now, there are a few pretty coincidental things but that does not in and of itself prove that the Clinton Foundation was used illegally, nor that Hillary used it as a cudgel to enrich her personal charity before granting favors. i mean, it's not like the Clinton Foundation was used to buy a 30ft portrait of the Clinton family, a Tim Tebow autographed football or a bribe to an Attorney General to drop an investigation against the Clintons, all while spending not one single dime on the issues they have as their mission statement. just to name a few....

on the second point: the Clintons are probably not that stupid but there is very little doubt that Comey's actions have influenced the election -- a far cry from "professionalism" IMHO. professionalism would have been to sit on the information until after the granting of a warrant specifically to look at the emails in question, and deciding when the evidence actually comes in to make a statement. instead he decided to blow shit up by making a statement only to republicans in Congress that he may or may not have new information but that he was going to tell them anyway. we'll see if he gets prosecuted, but most likely it will be yet another case of "it's ok to break the law if you're republican"

"The RIAA has shown a certain disregard for the creative people of the industry in their eagerness to protect the revenues of the record companies." -- Frank Zappa

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Reply to message
So, uh, it turns out H. Clinton is NOT being charged by the FBI after all, huh? - 07/11/2016 05:41:40 PM 617 Views
Well I guess that's that then. - 07/11/2016 05:47:55 PM 504 Views
Re: Well I guess that's that then. - 07/11/2016 08:27:47 PM 481 Views
Comey never said Hillary didn't commit any crimes - 07/11/2016 07:18:06 PM 445 Views
right, he said "could not prosecute" but the effect is still no trial will be forthcoming - 07/11/2016 08:25:16 PM 502 Views
..and Clinton looses... BWAHaHaHaHaHaHa *NM* - 09/11/2016 09:35:50 AM 170 Views

Reply to Message