Active Users:190 Time:18/05/2024 06:57:53 PM
I got 99 notifications but I ain't responded to one Joel Send a noteboard - 26/02/2017 02:12:39 AM

View original post
View original postI have mentioned on several occasions to Facebook friends that argument by meme, which seems to be the preferred method of interaction on Facebook, is one of the stupidest forms of polemic known to humanity.
It sounds like it. From what I see of people showing me their pages, that appears to be the main content of these things. I tentatively signed up for Facebook in anticipation of the end here, and got accepted into the wotmania group, but I'm not sure how to go about doing stuff there, or even if I really want to get exposed to it. My email has been flooded with redundant notifications, and queries about people I'm not sure if I know or not.

Mainly because the VERY FIRST TIME I go to FB and click on the notifications it will consider ALL of them read, so there will be no further reminders (except for new posts.) I either respond to EVERY SINGLE ONE in a single sitting, or must try to remember where they all are or scroll through them all (and IIRC there is a finite limit to how far one can scroll down through notifications, so beyond a certain point the rest are just... gone.) If participating in more than a few FB groups, it is very easy to get lost, because it is not as simple as simply opening a new tab to a new page that remains static unless manually reloaded: It will regularly refresh on its own as new content is added. I have not been back there since before the election, and am frankly afraid to return, simply because of all the random game requests and status updates about last months dinner I would have to scroll through, not just on the main page but in each group to which I belong, just to find out IF anything worth reading and/or commenting on has been posted.

Also, the posting system itself is absolute GARBAGE for anything much more than one liners. There is no formatting, and I do not even mean html: Boldface, italics and everything else is simply not available (or was not six months ago.) About the most that is possible is adding links, and that will even include a preview window when the post is submitted—but only for the FIRST link; the rest are just embedded in the body of the post as hyperlinks, which can be a bit misleading unless one figures out a way to incorporate the most significant link in such a way that it comes first. Hell, for a long time it was not even possible to have a carriage return, and even now it requires holding down the shift key while pressing return/enter, because simply hitting the return key alone posts the comment and immediately notifies everyone about it. Oh, and all comments longer than a few lines are collapsed so they can only be fully read by clicking on them, and "ain't nobody got time for that," as the FBers say. THAT is how much FB is oriented toward one liners.

The kind of in depth lengthy discussions typical of wotmania, RAFO and most DECENT websites is virtually impossible there. Facebook makes lengthy comments VERY difficult to either post or read, and after a day or two most threads die a quiet death simply because they are so far down most peoples feeds that few new posts are made in them, which means no new notifications, which means they disappear in precisely the way that prompted Lord wotmania to split the original single MB into several. Except opening each of them in a new window (or, later, tab) only loaded the page ONCE, not every five seconds.

It is just a nightmare for any serious complex discussion. If you want to play Candy Crush or Dragon Age against friends though, it is TOTALLY the place to be.

View original post
View original postI personally would like to see RAFO continue. I'm willing to contribute more than the cost of the premium membership I just renewed. I'm not looking to pay $500, but I am happy to send $100 extra if that makes the difference.

I would also go along with this, with about the same level of commitment as expressed in dollars.

Well, as to that: I would if I could; for the moment, an annaul, if belated, Premie Plus must be sufficient. Or not; it is out of my hands.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
This message last edited by Joel on 26/02/2017 at 02:12:55 AM
Reply to message
So is the site continuing or not? - 25/02/2017 05:17:48 PM 658 Views
My offer is on the table for Neb/Ben. - 25/02/2017 10:26:52 PM 490 Views
By the way, I completely agree with your post! - 25/02/2017 10:30:27 PM 485 Views
Agree on all relevant points. - 26/02/2017 12:10:43 AM 502 Views
I got 99 notifications but I ain't responded to one - 26/02/2017 02:12:39 AM 524 Views
I already paid the $20 for a premie, so I sure hope so. *NM* - 26/02/2017 12:33:12 AM 227 Views
Me too! *NM* - 27/02/2017 03:35:42 PM 207 Views
I hope so too. - 26/02/2017 01:36:56 AM 515 Views
That I could probably do, yeah - 26/02/2017 02:13:52 AM 427 Views
Please buy a premium..... - 26/02/2017 02:43:24 AM 465 Views
Continuing, potentially. - 27/02/2017 08:51:08 PM 742 Views
Thanks, Ben! I'm editing this... - 27/02/2017 09:03:10 PM 478 Views

Reply to Message