Active Users:375 Time:25/04/2024 08:58:36 PM
Free books: get books 1 & 2 of Gene Wolfe's BOOK OF THE NEW SUN. Ghavrel Send a noteboard - 12/03/2017 08:27:14 AM

I remember reading The Shadow of the Torturer for the first time. There are times when books elicit an emotion I've never felt before. I rarely reread books, but when I feel that way, I know I will end up coming back to the book again. I've read all sorts of weird fantasy and science fiction, but I've never had the same feeling of strangeness, or of the quiet of something that is winding down to an end.

Beyond the brilliant story, or the setting, or the characters, it's Severian in the river, and the feelings of not-quite-rightness that scene evoked, that I remember.

Anyway it's free and you should get it

"We feel safe when we read what we recognise, what does not challenge our way of thinking.... a steady acceptance of pre-arranged patterns leads to the inability to question what we are told."
~Camilla

Ghavrel is Ghavrel is Ghavrel

*MySmiley*

TOR e-book club
Reply to message
Free books: get books 1 & 2 of Gene Wolfe's BOOK OF THE NEW SUN. - 12/03/2017 08:27:14 AM 593 Views
Unfortunately only available in the US and Canada *NM* - 13/03/2017 04:48:32 AM 208 Views

Reply to Message