Active Users:291 Time:29/03/2024 01:15:05 PM
Yeah, the wife and I tentatively discussed something like that a while back Joel Send a noteboard - 21/03/2017 07:23:29 PM

View original post
So, in my family we are somewhat big time into geeky things. However, we have our limited knowledge of the things we have gravitated towards. In the spirit of this, and a desire to self sustain (kinda anyway) we are working toward opening our own business

For those who role play, I imagine you have at least an idea of places that allow rpgs to take place in their facility. Generally at fold out or cafeteria style tables. Our plan is to do this, however to broaden it. We will be including a cafe, a retail store, video games area, computer rental, and private room rentals. Doing events, either monthly or weekly, still working on most of the details

This is where your voices can help. What thoughts, suggestions or ideas would you wish to see in such a venue?

Our obvious choices of themes, items include: dungeons and dragons, Harry Potter, anime, Firefly, GoT, Star Wars, Star Trek, Supernatural, Marvel, DC, Big Bang Theory, Buffy... here is where I get lost and hope for input

I can't spell out exactly what I am hoping for, except to say we are driving toward being a good source of all things need/geek. Help? Please

The big thing I learned from visiting rebel and Mr. aessedai, and meeting and hanging out with their friend who owns the game shop where they all hung out, is that selling RPG and tabletop games in the Internet Age is an AWFUL business model whose sole hope of solvency is in-house food and beverages so when the geeks get hungry they do not need to leave or order a pizza—many are even willing to pay a sizable MARKUP for the convenience so they do not have to interrupt the game du jour. Also, while it is GREAT to have a go-to place you can always (at least during business hours) play games, ESPECIALLY pick up games, most gamers buy their games, dice, miniatures, supplements etc. BETWEEN sessions rather than DURING them. In other words, if you have a store full of people playing, what you will NOT have is a store full of people (currently) PAYING—unless you are also providing things gamers DO pay for while playing (i.e. food and drinks.)

Meanwhile, shortly after I moved over to Norway to get married, this place opened up downtown; I never had a chance to stop in, but the obvious burger joint with board games prominently visible through the windows (usually with several being played at any given time) were seriously appealing. There were only two RPG/boardgame (as opposed to purely PC and console game) stores in town when I arrived, also offering the typical sidelines of pulp fiction and comics, and one of those two stores (i.e. the one that was not a chain) closed down soon after I got to town, but last I saw Super Hero Burger is still doing a thriving trade. Several Trip Advisor reviews mention they also serve beer, noting that is an added draw for the gamer and downtown night life crowds, since most fast food places do not serve booze, but I do not know how "family-friendly" you want it (or if you want to spring for a liquor license.)

As far as a theme: What are ya'll "most geeky" about? The better you know your inventory, the better off you will be (and the easier the learning curve in the critical opening days; if you have never managed a store before, that is enough to bite off without having to google "wtf is a pikachu" because it is not listed in the Monstrous Compendium.) If the answer is "EVERYTHING!" then why paint yourself into a corner when you can knowledgeably offer something for everyone? No matter how narrow or broad your focus, you are likely to have a lot of slow days (in retail, we call them "weekdays" ) so nothing that can could reasonably be expected to be a draw (especially at the grand opening) should be excluded as long as it is at least somewhat within your wheelhouse. One possible way to mitigate those slow week days would be to set up somewhere close to a decent-sized college, if that is an option; college kids may be notoriously poor, but a decent number of them usually have some disposable income, and unlike HS kids they tend to have gaps of several hours between classes. Of course, rent tends to be higher around colleges precisely because of the students.

I dunno what to suggest for themes; fantasy is going mainstream, but that means there is also far more competition for its customer base. It is no longer as simple as opening a hobby shop specializing in RPGs and knowing you are literally the only game in town, and more and more RPGs of all varieties are moving away from peoples basements and into their monitors, putting the pinch on those brick and mortar stores along with all the rest. A wi-fi internet cafe might make sense in light of that, but the big problem I see there is that people who cannot afford computers at their homes probably will not be able to rent much time on someone elses.

Anyway, that is all I have off the top of my head; good luck, and keep us posted. Who knows, maybe someday I will be out ya'lls way so I can stop in and see for myself how it goes.

Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
Okay my nerdly brethren, please lend me your thoughts - 21/03/2017 06:24:41 PM 768 Views
Yeah, the wife and I tentatively discussed something like that a while back - 21/03/2017 07:23:29 PM 940 Views
thank you! - 24/03/2017 06:45:42 PM 653 Views
Crappy (awesome) 80s and B movies? - 21/03/2017 09:01:05 PM 622 Views
thank you! - 24/03/2017 06:40:48 PM 614 Views
I don't have anything to add, here - 24/03/2017 03:12:17 PM 750 Views
HI!!! - 24/03/2017 06:39:01 PM 650 Views
Howdy - 24/03/2017 06:54:42 PM 631 Views
There used to be a place in NY like that but it closed. - 24/03/2017 04:56:35 PM 589 Views
thank you! - 24/03/2017 06:37:59 PM 585 Views
Re: thank you! - 22/04/2017 03:47:45 PM 610 Views
The games can be a draw toys is where the money is - 24/03/2017 08:14:15 PM 645 Views
And I totally meant to post that on the main discussion line *NM* - 24/03/2017 08:15:15 PM 328 Views
And this is the way to do toys.... - 17/04/2017 09:09:34 AM 802 Views
Re: Okay my nerdly brethren, please lend me your thoughts - 17/04/2017 09:02:31 AM 908 Views

Reply to Message