Active Users:214 Time:08/05/2024 04:57:59 PM
The Senate Dems are a bunch of morons..... Anonymous2000 Send a noteboard - 28/03/2017 12:06:36 AM

These fools killed the filibuster rule in 2013 for all nominees except SCOTUS. Well, that gives the R's now the power and moral authority to do the same. What goes around comes around.

And yes, this is not the nominee to fight over. I still think they will cave and give Gorsuch the 60 votes, that can't be so stupid, can they?

View original postSen. Coons: Republican nuclear option to confirm Gorsuch is ‘tragic’

View original postBy KELSEY SUTTON 03/27/17 09:14 AM EDT

View original postDelaware Sen. Chris Coons said he doubts Neil Gorsuch will get the necessary 60 votes in the Senate to be confirmed to the Supreme Court, and that he is bracing for Republicans to go for the so-called nuclear option to push the Trump administration’s pick through without any support from Democrats.

View original post“I think this is tragic,” Coons said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” about the nuclear option that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has said he may employ to get Gorsuch on the bench. “And on talking to friends on both sides of the aisle, we’ve got a lot of senators concerned about where we’re headed. There’s Republicans still very mad at us over the 2013 change to the filibuster rule, we’re mad at them for shutting down the government, they’re mad at us for Gorsuch, and we’re not headed in a good direction.”

View original postGorsuch, who enjoys widespread support from Republican lawmakers, is expected to come up short, as he needs eight Democratic lawmakers to support him in a confirmation vote unless Republicans pursue the nuclear option that would allow Gorsuch to be approved by a simple majority. The Supreme Court pick, who was grilled by Democrats last week during four days of hearings, is unpopular among Democrats who think he is far too conservative for the bench. Senate Minority leader Chuck Schumer has repeatedly signaled that Democrats will vigorously oppose Gorsuch’s confirmation.

View original postCoons said Democratic lawmakers are still bitter about obstruction from Republican lawmakers last year to prevent the confirmation of former President Barack Obama's Supreme Court pick, Merrick Garland.

View original post“Gorsuch got what Garland didn’t, which was a fair hearing,” Coons said. “He got a full four days of hearings last week. I questioned him vigorously, some would say aggressively. And he is a charming man, he’s got a good résumé, he’s got strong qualifications in terms of his education, his service on the court, but he would be in some measures the most conservative justice on the Supreme Court.”

View original postMcConnell has vowed to confirm Gorsuch before the April 8 recess, even if the nominee does not receive the 60 votes.

View original postSo I don't get what the Dems are playing at here. Whether you look at it as a matter of principle or strategically, blocking cloture on Gorsuch looks like a dead end to me. Yeah, Trump nominated him, but so what? If Gorsuch is somehow not a reasonable mainstream pick that any Republican president would've put high on his shortlist, the Dems have certainly failed to make that case to the public - after the things Coons says about him in the article, it's hard to see any good reason for him to vote no other than naked partisanship and a petty desire for retaliation after the Garland debacle. So what if Gorsuch will be the most conservative justice on the Supreme Court? He's replacing Scalia, it won't change the balance. And if Schumer forces McConnell's hand on the nuclear option, he won't have any cards left to play on the next SC nomination, when he'll need them so much more. Am I missing something that somehow makes this look like a smart move?

Reply to message
Gorsuch's Supreme Court nomination - 27/03/2017 08:03:23 PM 720 Views
We in the US are headed towards a British Parliamentary system it seems. - 27/03/2017 08:29:17 PM 629 Views
The Garland argument is a silly one for the Dems..... - 28/03/2017 12:10:34 AM 523 Views
Oh I agree 100% *NM* - 28/03/2017 06:03:19 PM 250 Views
The Senate Dems are a bunch of morons..... - 28/03/2017 12:06:36 AM 500 Views
We'll have to go nuclear. - 28/03/2017 09:09:17 PM 445 Views
Seems that way - Schumer has gone too far to chicken out now. - 28/03/2017 10:02:02 PM 479 Views
KABOOM - As per McConnell, Gorsuch will be confirmed on Friday, April 7th - 29/03/2017 02:18:50 AM 552 Views

Reply to Message