Active Users:207 Time:18/05/2024 04:10:19 PM
If you have a lot of windows maybe, wretched bunch of hippies IMHO Isaac Send a noteboard - 24/03/2010 04:46:25 AM
How much food can really be produced by five or six plants small enough to grow out of bottles? A few pounds every few months? Tops? Seems like a cool way to indulge your gardening fancy, but nothing that could realistically reduce your grocery bill, or reliance on typical sources of food.

Neat though.

Hydroponic tomatoes usually yield about 200 pounds per year per square yard. Of course, it's real dumb stupid to go hydroponic to grow herbs, traditionally you just suspend a series of pots with dirt in front of a window - if you don't have a cat - or use a pot on the windowsill with room for the cat to still doze if you do.

This cat aspect being pretty important here, I'm looking at their setups and your average cat will not be able to resist climbing and swing from those, which will, I assume, drastically effect gross yield.

Indoor gardening is not advised for pet owners or those with toddlers, especially setups that involve electrical pumps and lights, this looks like a project designed by a bunch of greenies with little gardening and DIY experience. A few pots with dirt on the sill, maybe some cords for vining plants like tomatoes, should do the trick for most people. Actually having a hanging but non hydroponic window garden can be created for about ten bucks a window tops, basically the cost of some empty soda bottles, seeds, potting soil and nylon cord.

I always want to hit amateurs who in an attempt to be green somehow manage to spend way more money for their yield then going to the store, it so horribly misses the point.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
Window Farms - 24/03/2010 02:09:19 AM 578 Views
for some reason.... - 24/03/2010 03:21:58 AM 429 Views
lol, they do look like a bunch of stoners *NM* - 24/03/2010 03:25:11 AM 316 Views
While awesome, the matter of scale is obviously a problem. - 24/03/2010 03:49:34 AM 301 Views
If you have a lot of windows maybe, wretched bunch of hippies IMHO - 24/03/2010 04:46:25 AM 379 Views

Reply to Message