Active Users:197 Time:18/05/2024 08:08:47 PM
<Insert your preferred portmanteau here> Tim Send a noteboard - 05/09/2009 11:54:25 AM
But before the layout questions, some nostalgia.

1. What remnants of wotmania did you save? If you chose not to save anything, what was your thinking on the matter?

I saved my noteboards (sent and received), profile info, scratchpad, signature, and the user directory (which is still available to anyone who wants it).

2. Did you stick around for the closing?

Yep. Didn't leave for work until wotmania stopped working for me :P.

3. How did you feel about the whole thing - and about the subsequent transition?

From what I remember, I took it rather stoically at the beginning. I was a bit surprised, but not as upset as some seemed to be. Then I just carried on as if nothing had happened, except to notice how much more traffic there was towards the end. But now that RAFO is here, I am rather excited about it – probably because it isn't focusing on The Wheel of Time, which I lost interest in a good while ago. And because I've seen at first hand how much work has gone into it. I really think the SFF board can take off.

4. Name changes are obvious, but are you intending to do anything differently in terms of site activity here? (Frequenting more boards, posting more thoughtfully [hahaha, I crack myself up]).

I'm sure I will find myself almost exclusively on the Community Board as before, but I'd like to do more at SFF. The problem is that I haven't read most of the books being discussed, so there's nothing I can say about them. But being married to one of the SFF admins may help me get more involved :P. I've already been recruited to write a review of the Illuminatus! trilogy once I've finished it (20 pages of story and 70 pages of Hebrew-alphabet appendices to go!)

5. Is there anything you miss about wotmania so far? Any RAFO-related change that really pleases you?

I do kind of wish Mike had left wotmania chat running. That last-evening party where we were all made admins was fun :D.

I do like the nested quotes here, and the fact that we finally have previews and reply-to-all on noteboards. It did rather annoy me that Mike ignored our requests for those for years... Also that we can change the "Send notification emails?" option by editing the post.

Oh, and I'm very happy to see the end of the dancing banana.

6. What's your pick for our collective identity? (Rafolites, Rafonauts...)

Rafolites. I loved that pun of Tom's...

Now onto issues of layout.

7. What colors do you currently use?

Black and white, like a classic film.

8. What color palettes would you like to see?

I'm happy with the one I've got.

9. What font do you use? (Did you know you can customize that? :P) What fonts would you like added?

Jawjah!

10. You prefer navigation bars that are:

A) On the left

B) On the right, or

C) Across the top

11. Do you like the current set-up, where you have to click to see the options, or did you prefer the old wotmania version, where a mouse-over would cause the menus to drop down?

I'm going to treat 10 and 11 as the same question.

I really did like the old-style wotmania menus with mouseover, and was sad when they went. But the current layout is fine really.

12. Do you like all of the icons? Would you like to see more graphics? If so, what kind?

No gripes there.

13. Do you like the current logo? If not, what would you like to see?

This logo is only a filler until we get a better one. I'm not a very graphic person so I won't be putting forward any ideas for designs, but I'm sure I'll like the new logo when it does come along. Maybe you could design one? There'll be a competition at some point...

14. If you've given any general thought to the matter, please tell me your thoughts here. (Sketch something out in words, maybe?)

Please note that I am not even going to think about changing the way threads and subthreads are displayed. I like it the way it is, and such fiddling is beyond my capabilities anyway. I may try messing with the identations, but again, I'm not even sure I know how to do that, so I'm not making any promises. ;)

Miscellany

15. Do you think it is possible for an established politician to undergo a major ideological shift? That is, a genuine one, not one for political gain.

Of course it's possible. Whether anyone believes them or not is entirely another matter.

16. What is your favorite way to experience nostalgia?

When I can think, as I nostalge away, that what I have now is better.

17. Are you content with your given name & surname? If not, how come? What would you change it to if you could?

I like my surname a lot. My first name is kind of easy to make fun of, but I don't know what I could change it to. "James" is a nice name and goes well with my surname, but it's too common. I don't think I'll go changing it.

18. Are you good with time management? If yes, any advice?

Not really. But I do have some advice (which I rarely follow myself): make lists. It's a good way of making the number of things you have to do seem finite, rather than infinite as they do if you try to hold too many things in your head at once.

19. What was the first piece of genuine "literature" that you remember appreciating?

I firmly maintain that Thomas the Tank Engine is genuine literature!

20. Are you on friendly terms with your neighbors? (Apartment neighbors count too.) If so, how did you get that way?

Yeah, I guess. I had to go round asking them if they had plumbing trouble or if it was just us. Some of them turned out to be friendly, chatty people. So when I needed something else, I felt fine asking them.

I think it's best to swallow your nervousness and make first contact early on, just so that you feel you can knock on their door and ask to use the washing machine. It's much harder to do if you've lived there for six months without ever speaking to them...

21. When you hang out with people, do you have the most fun on your own turf (in your apartment or home), at their place(s), or in a neutral spot, like a pub or a mall?

Doesn't really matter to me. Although the idea of hanging out in a shopping mall and enjoying it is utterly alien to me. My place, their place, pub.

22. If you could invite a foreign/distant friend to visit your city/town at any season or time of year, which would you pick as ideal?

What am I picking, the season or the friend? :P

I'll assume it's the season. Obviously summer, because this is Scotland. If they are the kind of person who would enjoy the festival and not mind the heaving crowds, I'd say August. Otherwise, probably June.

2-. Do you participate in any community-ish events? (Local markets, library book clubs, church events, etc.) Which ones?

Nope. I really should... When I go back to university (two weeks!) I will have to join some clubs.

Oh, that's my favorite number. Best stop here. I censored it for Amy's sake.

Are you one of the Illuminati? It's one of their sacred numbers, you know *nods*.
Vigilantibus non dormientibus jura subveniunt.

—Nous disons en allemand : le guerre, le mort, le lune, alors que 'soleil' et 'amour' sont du sexe féminin : la soleil, la amour. La vie est neutre.

—La vie ? Neutre ? C'est très joli, et surtout très logique.
Reply to message
A Luvey. Lurvey? Lupinevey? FormerlyClovervey? - 05/09/2009 04:38:40 AM 725 Views
I don't like sn changes... so don't ask me. - 05/09/2009 04:54:12 AM 624 Views
Lurvey has a nice ring to it - 05/09/2009 05:39:13 AM 593 Views
Rafonians - 05/09/2009 05:57:08 AM 441 Views
Lurvey, definitely! *lurves* - 05/09/2009 05:43:21 AM 622 Views
Re: A Luvey. Lurvey? Lupinevey? FormerlyClovervey? - 05/09/2009 05:49:46 AM 639 Views
I like Lurvey, it's like you're feeling lots of lurve - 05/09/2009 07:38:43 AM 551 Views
Re: A Luvey. Lurvey? Lupinevey? FormerlyClovervey? - 05/09/2009 09:14:49 AM 613 Views
<Insert your preferred portmanteau here> - 05/09/2009 11:54:25 AM 625 Views
My answers are here. - 05/09/2009 12:16:01 PM 620 Views
Re: A Luvey. Lurvey? Lupinevey? FormerlyClovervey? - 05/09/2009 01:50:55 PM 621 Views
*has a hissy fit* Lupurvey. or Lurvey. - 05/09/2009 01:54:34 PM 636 Views
Re: *has a hissy fit* Lupurvey. or Lurvey. - 05/09/2009 07:51:38 PM 430 Views
I will respond on one condition: I get a response to my response - 05/09/2009 02:48:28 PM 702 Views
Oh, fine. - 05/09/2009 07:33:39 PM 472 Views
Re: Oh, fine. - 05/09/2009 10:50:20 PM 586 Views
Oh, that's who you are. :I kept wondering when Clover would show up. *NM* - 05/09/2009 06:03:55 PM 270 Views
- 05/09/2009 06:07:56 PM 417 Views
. - 05/09/2009 07:03:36 PM 502 Views
Whatever. - 05/09/2009 11:27:23 PM 392 Views
Lurvey sounds nice - 06/09/2009 07:43:51 PM 507 Views
Shame on you for trying to make me think - 06/09/2009 08:31:43 PM 548 Views
Re: A Luvey. Lurvey? Lupinevey? FormerlyClovervey? *NM* - 06/09/2009 10:00:38 PM 260 Views
Ah, ThePosterFormerlyKnownAsClover - 06/09/2009 10:46:24 PM 546 Views

Reply to Message