Active Users:201 Time:19/05/2024 02:04:41 PM
Actually, I believe I'VE been saying that for years. Joel Send a noteboard - 24/10/2010 08:33:56 AM
the beauty of doing it that way is that all the minor bowls can still keep the "best of the rest" and have their one big day like it is now. rotate the title game and the semis between alternate bowls and it ends up being fair all around. i.e. - this year the rose bowl is the title game, fiesta and orange get the semis. next year fiesta gets the title game, sugar and rose get the semis, etc. but given that the current deal is valid for another three years it'll take some more controversy before the ncaa is ready to listen to reason...

IIRC you objected on the grounds it would either continue to exclude a lot of teams or extend the season too far. Maybe that seems like a minor sticking point once we agree to use the Bowl games as a playoff, but if we're still going to arbitrary exclude 75 teams from even being considered for a playoff spot we haven't really accomplished anything. It's still the same old boys club passing a "national" championship trophy between them.

That's the real reason, IMHO, why it hasn't been done; otherwise the NCAA, its sponsors and its member schools would be fine with a system that wouldn't change much. As we've discussed, having the equivalent of a Conference Championship game would probably be MORE lucrative than a non-championship major bowl, because the whole country would have incentive to watch. The major bowls would still be assured a VERY lucrative Championship every few years. But Boise State would still be the winningest team of the decade yet excluded from National Championship consideration. Be honest, do you REALLY think last years National Championship had the best two teams, or would Boise State vs. TCU have been a MUCH better Championship game? 'Cos neither of them does any better if we just make the current BCS into a playoff. The 14-0 team is still snubbed despite beating a 13-0 team, and the and the 13-1 team is still "Champion" by virtue of beating a 12-1 team. The NCAA is convinced forcing the Champion to face all the best talent somehow cheapens them, and until/unless you change that warped mindset you've done nothing.

The "coalition" is just that, a coalition of universities who consider each other worthy talent and everyone else (even Division IA) beneath them. Until we fix that, we're still just polishing a turd.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
The BCS and a playoff OR I think my wife might be a genius. - 24/10/2010 04:48:37 AM 652 Views
i've been saying that for a few years, but it's all about $$$ in college football - 24/10/2010 05:39:21 AM 375 Views
Actually, I believe I'VE been saying that for years. - 24/10/2010 08:33:56 AM 382 Views

Reply to Message