Active Users:307 Time:18/06/2024 07:02:56 AM
I will be working on mine this weekend, I hope random thoughts Send a noteboard - 18/03/2011 07:32:01 PM
That and installing a hardwood floor in my dinning room and go to my wife's aunt's 50th birthday party and a 6 mile canoe trip.

As the spring begins creeping in the time is fast approaching for the breaking out of shovel and rake, trowel and seed, and the donning of various Horticultural Paraphernalia, so a survey seems in order.

1. How much do you garden?: a) I don't, dirt is icky, b) A little, I've never gotten into it (if so why not, time, space, etc), c) Gardening's a bit of a hobby, or d) Gardening is a passion

Gardening is a bit of a hobby. I normally start off very dedicated by tend to turn into a slacker around July when get to hot.

2. What Climate Zone do you live in? (<a href="http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html">US Zone Map</a> and <a href="http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze.html">Europe Zone Map</a>, both zoomable)

8a/7b border. I should have planted two weeks ago.

3. My actual gardening talent is best described as: a) My potted plants keep dying, b) So-so, or c) Green Thumb

So so. Some years it does pretty well but the last two summers have sucked. It got way to hot way to early.

4. My gardening style is best characterized by: a) Flowers to the front yard, veggies to the back, b) A heavy emphasis on overall appearance, c) Rows of veggies, or similar chiefly functional layout, d) Total Chaos, or e) Other (please explain)

a

4. Which plant or plants have you been most successful with?

tomatoes

5. Do you view your approach to Gardening more as an art, a science, or a routine?

science

6. Do you tend to keep personal records, like local rainfall, which plants did poorly or well, yields, layout maps, etc?

no but I know I should

7. Your favorite time of day, or day of the week, to garden is?

after work I like to spend about twenty or so min working on it

8. Do you have any particular good luck charms or specific items like 'my gardening hat' or what amount to rituals that you make use of when gardening?

well this is this naked rain dance i do but that is more just for fun.

9. The amount of space you garden with is: a) a few potted plants, b) Small: A couple square yards or meters, c) Medium: About a dozen square yards or meters, maybe two dozen, d) Medium-Large: A few dozen square Yards or meters, e) Large: Around a hundred Square yards or meters, f) Very Large: A decent fraction of an acre or hectare, or g) Basically small scale farming. For scale, a 10x20 foot garden is medium, about 20 sq. yd.

I have a raised bed that is about 8 X 12 and I am building another smaller 4 x 10 bed. I will also plant some radishes and herbs in containers.

10. You garden primarily for: a) Yard appearance, b) Relaxation, c) Food (or final product, so speak), d) Fresh Air and Exercise, e) A challenge and sense of accomplishment, or f) some combination thereof, something else, elaborate.

I guess there are several reasons. My mom always had one so it seems like just one of those things you do. I can usually grow better food than I can buy. I enjoy and it is something I can do with my daughter.

11. Is there anything particularly radical or abnormal about your garden? Anything in particular you feel stands out?

not outside of the naked rain dance.

If I have time I will build a vertical cantaloupe bed. Run the vines up at fence and use little boxes to support the melons.

12. What are you planning to plant this year? Anything in particular, different, new? Plans to construct a greenhouse, throw in some new drainage, start a new bed?

I had planned to build a cold box but it is a little late for that. Just one new bed and I will build new containers if I need them.

13. Do you tend to have a lot of infrastructure in your garden? Like raised beds, stone walls, greenhouses or cold frames, drainage ditches. If so what, and did you do it yourself or have it done by someone else?

I building more every year. I do it all myself. On my project list is a garden shed suspended between two fence post with a drop down potting table racks for tools.

14. How did you get into gardening? Was there a particularly person (Mom, Dad, friend, etc) who you picked it up from?

mom

15. If you were asked by a new potential gardener to explain why you garden, or why gardening is good, what would you tell them? What advice would you give?

There is something rewarding to having created things of value through your hard work and skills.
Reply to message
Spring Gardening Survey - 18/03/2011 07:03:05 PM 696 Views
Oooooo - 18/03/2011 07:24:16 PM 609 Views
I will be working on mine this weekend, I hope - 18/03/2011 07:32:01 PM 384 Views
Well ... - 18/03/2011 07:43:52 PM 424 Views
is gardening on the roof an option? - 18/03/2011 07:59:34 PM 416 Views
My Answers - 18/03/2011 07:44:41 PM 571 Views
I have a tiny garden while living in the centre of Amsterdam! - 18/03/2011 09:39:28 PM 430 Views
Re: Spring Gardening Survey - 18/03/2011 11:22:44 PM 537 Views
Good survey! - 20/03/2011 12:43:16 AM 562 Views
Living in an apartment, we don't have a garden per se - 20/03/2011 08:12:51 AM 431 Views

Reply to Message