Active Users:185 Time:18/05/2024 02:22:13 PM
Re: Spring Gardening Survey Seriana Sedai Send a noteboard - 18/03/2011 11:22:44 PM
As the spring begins creeping in the time is fast approaching for the breaking out of shovel and rake, trowel and seed, and the donning of various Horticultural Paraphernalia, so a survey seems in order.

1. How much do you garden?: a) I don't, dirt is icky, b) A little, I've never gotten into it (if so why not, time, space, etc), c) Gardening's a bit of a hobby, or d) Gardening is a passion

It's somewhere between a hobby and a passion. I enjoy it immensely, but I can let it go when I need to.

2. What Climate Zone do you live in? (<a href="http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html">US Zone Map</a> and <a href="http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze.html">Europe Zone Map</a>, both zoomable)

It looks like I'm in 7a-b on that map. Pacific Northwest.

3. My actual gardening talent is best described as: a) My potted plants keep dying, b) So-so, or c) Green Thumb

I don't want to call it a full on green thumb, but I've been reasonably successful so far.

4. My gardening style is best characterized by: a) Flowers to the front yard, veggies to the back, b) A heavy emphasis on overall appearance, c) Rows of veggies, or similar chiefly functional layout, d) Total Chaos, or e) Other (please explain)

I'm going to say total chaos. I just bought a bunch of plants I liked and put them in where I thought the looked best without a very clear plan. Perhaps "eclectic" is a better word.

4. Which plant or plants have you been most successful with?

My plants that are common around the Pacific Northwest, specifically columbine, bleeding heart, hellebore, hydrangeas, and rhododendrons.

5. Do you view your approach to Gardening more as an art, a science, or a routine?

A little of all I think.

6. Do you tend to keep personal records, like local rainfall, which plants did poorly or well, yields, layout maps, etc?

Nope. Sounds like a good plan though.

7. Your favorite time of day, or day of the week, to garden is?

Whenever I can get to it. Morning feels best, but typically late afternoon/early evening.

8. Do you have any particular good luck charms or specific items like 'my gardening hat' or what amount to rituals that you make use of when gardening?

I don't.

9. The amount of space you garden with is: a) a few potted plants, b) Small: A couple square yards or meters, c) Medium: About a dozen square yards or meters, maybe two dozen, d) Medium-Large: A few dozen square Yards or meters, e) Large: Around a hundred Square yards or meters, f) Very Large: A decent fraction of an acre or hectare, or g) Basically small scale farming. For scale, a 10x20 foot garden is medium, about 20 sq. yd.

Medium.

10. You garden primarily for: a) Yard appearance, b) Relaxation, c) Food (or final product, so speak), d) Fresh Air and Exercise, e) A challenge and sense of accomplishment, or f) some combination thereof, something else, elaborate.

A combination. I like my yard to look nice and playing out there is relaxing. I also like the fresh air. The only food items I grow are several mint plants, strawberries, and raspberries.

11. Is there anything particularly radical or abnormal about your garden? Anything in particular you feel stands out?

My backyard is tiered and I like how the groundcover I planted last year is growing over it. I have lots of columbine in the front yard that might look overdone to others but I love how they all look when they are blooming.

12. What are you planning to plant this year? Anything in particular, different, new? Plans to construct a greenhouse, throw in some new drainage, start a new bed?

I'm going to buy some passion flowers to climb on my trellises. I had some last year but I didn't prepare them for the winter very well so I will need to replace them. I also want another hydrangea.

13. Do you tend to have a lot of infrastructure in your garden? Like raised beds, stone walls, greenhouses or cold frames, drainage ditches. If so what, and did you do it yourself or have it done by someone else?

I built a raised bed in the backyard for my bulbs that they seem to like. I usually make things myself, I like to figure out how to make them and I enjoy building things.

14. How did you get into gardening? Was there a particularly person (Mom, Dad, friend, etc) who you picked it up from?

My Grandpa has a beautiful backyard and I grew up watching him tend it when we would go swimming in the summers. My Mom wants to have a garden but usually I wind up taking care of it for her because she is so busy.

15. If you were asked by a new potential gardener to explain why you garden, or why gardening is good, what would you tell them? What advice would you give?

That it is fun and relaxing and something you can have some control of if your life is hectic and unpredictable. My advice would be to get a good book about gardening in their area. I have one that is invaluable. I don't have enough experience under my belt to give personal tidbits yet.
Reply to message
Spring Gardening Survey - 18/03/2011 07:03:05 PM 689 Views
Oooooo - 18/03/2011 07:24:16 PM 602 Views
I will be working on mine this weekend, I hope - 18/03/2011 07:32:01 PM 379 Views
Well ... - 18/03/2011 07:43:52 PM 415 Views
is gardening on the roof an option? - 18/03/2011 07:59:34 PM 409 Views
My Answers - 18/03/2011 07:44:41 PM 567 Views
I have a tiny garden while living in the centre of Amsterdam! - 18/03/2011 09:39:28 PM 425 Views
Re: Spring Gardening Survey - 18/03/2011 11:22:44 PM 531 Views
Good survey! - 20/03/2011 12:43:16 AM 558 Views
Living in an apartment, we don't have a garden per se - 20/03/2011 08:12:51 AM 426 Views

Reply to Message