Active Users:165 Time:20/05/2024 09:08:59 PM
Life usually goes on, and when it does not other problems have solved themselves. Joel Send a noteboard - 31/10/2011 11:38:56 PM
Life will go on.

*tebows again*

In the mean time that is kind of the problem; again, Tebow is hardly the first pro athlete (especially in football) to ostentatiously reference God in connection with his athletic performance (because whether the Giants beat the spread is a VERY high priority for the Almighty :sarcasm: ) but he has raised it to a new level. As with other examples, that means the next person who wants to use his religion for self promotion will have to go yet another level higher to get the notoriety they crave (because Christianity and religion in general is all about adherents' notoriety. :sarcasm:) I shudder to think what form that will take.

There is something truly absurd about a League making a show of its piety while excusing any degree of thuggery, both for the sake of lionizing athletes. Between the time the Denver QB Tebowed after beating Miami and the time the Lions Stephen Tulloch Tebowed over his body after sacking him, another Bronco, Ryan McBean had a court date for a stalking charge: Seems the defensive tackle angrily demanded an ex-girlfriend pay back a $500 loan, then invited her to his house and offered to forgive the debt in exchange for a sex act; things got ugly and at one point he sent her a text that she AND HER SON should sleep lightly. Maybe Tebow should spare some prayer for his teammate (or perhaps his teammates ex-girlfriend and child. (8 ) That is just in Denver, of course; go further and we can look at the Hall of Fame running back (arguably the greatest in League history) now "famous" across the globe for brutally murdering his ex-wife and her boyfriend AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT, or the Ravens linebacker everyone agrees will just as automatically go to the Hall of Fame despite gunning down a man in cold blood at a nightclub, because one of his entourage took the fall for him. Getting away with murder (sometimes literally) because of athleticism makes no one saintly, no matter how many times they point to the sky after a TD.

This is not laudable piety or devotion, it is hypocritically self righteous self promotion. I do not expect it to end soon, but it grows more offensive daily.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
This message last edited by Joel on 31/10/2011 at 11:42:11 PM
Reply to message
Although I'm not a Denver Broncos fan, I thought those here who are might enjoy this site - 30/10/2011 11:12:33 PM 331 Views
This beat the hell out of planking *NM* - 31/10/2011 02:04:21 AM 94 Views
I really REALLY hate "Tebowing." - 31/10/2011 07:37:29 PM 263 Views
*tebows in response* - 31/10/2011 09:49:03 PM 178 Views
Life usually goes on, and when it does not other problems have solved themselves. - 31/10/2011 11:38:56 PM 163 Views

Reply to Message