Active Users:181 Time:19/05/2024 12:37:15 PM
I disagree. Joel Send a noteboard - 03/11/2011 08:44:54 PM
Do you disagree?

I cannot recall an instance of a corporation lobbying for the government to have more power; their record is one of lobbying for just the opposite. Though happy to take government subsidies and juicy contracts, corporate America is generally quite averse to increasing actual government POWER. I cannot speak for OWS (and vice versa... ) but much of my own complaint against BOTH parties running US government is their penchant to roll over for powerful multinationals. They not not only grant corporate demands for less government power, but routinely refuse to exercise what power remains where it conflicts with corporate goals (as regulating industry obviously does.) Multinationals have no need of increased government power to achieve their goals, because they possess sufficient power themselves; they require only government inaction, for which they have very aggressively and successfully lobbied.

Governments relationship with corporate America should not be invariably adversarial, but neither should it be automatically cooperative. Even if we accept the premise that corporations are people (which, IMHO, we should not) the fact remains that governments duty to serve the "people" does not extend to condoning criminal behavior. On the contrary, governments duty to serve the people inherently includes serving victimized people by enforcing laws and regulations prohibiting their exploitation by other people. Being one of "the people" government serves makes no one immune to intervention when they abuse other people simply because they have power and no one can stop them: Stopping them is the governments JOB, the one and only reason governments have power, even exist.

Again, government should not inherently oppose industry any more than it should inherently support it, but if we style the debate in terms of government vs. corporate power, I will always prefer the one responsible to the entire public through the ballot box over the one responsible to the dozen or so people on its board of directors. If government had and exercised as much power as the Tea Party alleges the subprime mortgage fiasco, the expensive tragedy of US "healthcare" and the Global Financial Crisis would never have occurred. If it had and exercised that power on behalf of industry, corporate America would not be just as critical of government power as the Tea Party is; again, big business success requires no more than (as they and the Tea Party often tell us) government letting them do as they please. Government largely lacks that power, and what power it has is declining through a combination of disuse and outright abrogation. To reiterate and summarize, I disagree strongly with the Tea Party/OWS overlap as represented by your link.
Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
Great visual summary of the differences between the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street - 31/10/2011 02:59:18 PM 808 Views
I hear OSWers suggest dumping the Constitution about as often as Tea Partiers suggest fixing govt. - 31/10/2011 08:01:39 PM 605 Views
That's a touch questionable - 31/10/2011 09:49:09 PM 554 Views
The subject line? I disagree (obviously. ) - 31/10/2011 11:23:57 PM 712 Views
Re: The subject line? I disagree (obviously. ) - 01/11/2011 12:29:50 AM 701 Views
Re: The subject line? I disagree (obviously. ) - 11/11/2011 08:29:52 AM 733 Views
I think that this image actually is the best- short and to the point - 01/11/2011 01:24:23 AM 590 Views
LIKE *NM* - 01/11/2011 01:46:22 AM 178 Views
Very, very good. *NM* - 01/11/2011 12:01:17 PM 193 Views
I like that one. *NM* - 01/11/2011 12:54:45 PM 198 Views
I disagree. - 03/11/2011 08:44:54 PM 487 Views

Reply to Message