Active Users:156 Time:01/06/2024 08:55:08 PM
The Answers Isaac Send a noteboard - 29/12/2011 03:30:54 AM
|p Test Your Geekdom, Vol II: The Sequel |b

Of course the clue in there is 'sequel', all of these are sequel books, movies, or shows. Your mileage may vary on some of these interpretations of course.

****Spoiler Warning***** - Several of the answers will function as effective spoilers so you may want to skip checking ones you totally guessed on.

Ten questions, 3 possible points for each… format is movie, character, actor for movies or book, character, author for books, or TV Show, character, actor for television... using a first person summary some might view as skewed.

1) (Movie) After having my mind screwed with I was shunted back in time to protect a mouthy teenager from a homicidal robot with a mercurial approach to life, and eventually committed assisted suicide.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day, a T-800 Terminator, Arnold Schwarzenegger

2) (Book) After being thrown far into the future and ending up at an expensive dining establishment, I eventually found myself crash landing with a bunch of irritating people millions of year in the past on an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet, and finish the book trying to puzzle out the answer to a deep philosophical question I think I should know with a bag of scrabble pieces.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Arthur Dent, Douglas Adams

3) (TV) As the Second Officer on board a famous vessel, I had many duties, but this never stopped me from taking care of my cat, Spot, though I never got along well with my patricidal brother and often felt my life was devoid of passion or feeling.

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Lt. Commander Data, Brent Spiner

4) (Movie) Shortly after escaping from brutish, ape-like captors I made my way through an empty and forbidding zone of desert on horseback with my girlfriend, who wasn't a good conversationalist. We end up getting separated, though I later met back up with her in the company of a colleague. Unfortunately I find myself the unwilling guest of a group of telepaths who worship and unexploded nuclear bomb. Since my new captors were now being invaded by my old captors, they prepare to detonate the bomb. I end up getting shot while trying to prevent the bomb going off, and after my colleague and girlfriend get gunned down, I decide to hell with it and set the thing off myself.

Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Taylor, Charlton Heston... who appeared in the first quiz... Taylor's girlfriend in the first and second movie is a mute who never speaks until right before the climax of the second movie.

5) (TV) I used to be a military pilot until my superior genes got me involved in a clandestine project that was in league with aliens and secretly funded by numerous governments. After getting stranded in a distant galaxy, and underwater to boot, I eventually ended up shooting my commanding officer, who bore a striking familiarity to homicidal robot in the first question. Later my right hand man became addicted to drugs, I starved and shot a prisoner to gain information from him, and I made a military alliance with a number of sadistic mass murderers to engage in what many would consider an attempt to commit genocide.

Stargate Atlantis, Major John Sheppard, Joe Flanigan… the genocide attempt refers to the fleet attack on the Asuran Homeworld where they turned them all into one big ball of machine goo.

6) (Book) After being raised on a farm by my Aunt, and fleeing in the night with her, the farm’s blacksmith, and an old wolfish storyteller we eventually ended up in an ancient and barbaric kingdom where I helped save the king from a plot hatched by a man I later found out had murdered my parents. But that happened a short while back, and now I find myself traveling through first a land of idiotic if noble knights then a land of people who seem obsessed with making money. There I met a spoiled brat who I’m obviously destined to marry, encountered a group of nymphomaniac tree-huggers, and then burned a man alive, much to the glee of my aunt. Later I ended up meeting another nymphomaniac, but my aunt turned her into a snake.

Queen of Sorcery, Book 2 of the Belgariad, Belgarion, David Eddings

7) (Book) Shortly after doing away with a tyrannical lord and ruler of many lands including the city that was now my home… and who ordered my father’s death right before my eyes… and also killed a man who saved me from being beaten to death by the leader of gang of thieves, I found myself trying to protect the life of my boyfriend who was the new king of the city. I’d previously killed his ex-fiancee before he was king, ended up killing several of his brothers, and later his father. After all that effort, I left him to bleed to death so I could unleash a Ruinous dark god on the world. I’m a pretty tough girl, and my dietary habits would lead many to think I have a cast iron stomach.

Mistborn: The Well of Ascension, Vin, Brandon Sanderson... 'several' incidentally as Zane was not Elend's only half-brother Vin fights in the book.... and of course Vin was hardly upset when her father died but then neither was Elend.

8 ) (Movie) Although I am probably best remembered for offering drugs to the lead character in the original movie which I promised would open his eyes to reality, and trying to get everyone to join a messianic and militant cult, in this film I’m probably best remembered for fighting a pair of albino twins in a parking garage and later a crowded highway while trying to find a locksmith. Considering how many bullets got fired during this fight, it’s amazing how rarely people reloaded.

Matrix Reloaded, Morpheus, Laurence Fishburne

9) (Book) While trying to recover a piece of jewelry that was a birthday gift from a dear friend who died shortly after, I was threatened at sword point and coerced into helping guide that person to the home of a man who once had me tortured. Later I was threatened with death merely for fishing in a pool that I didn’t even know anyone owned or cared about.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Gollum, J.R.R. Tolkien… and I think saying ‘a piece of jewelry that was precious to me’ would be a bit obvious :P

10) (Movie) After waking up from deep freeze and having my piloting license revoked over questions about my judgment, I joined a marine expedition to a colony. After most of them were killed in a territorial dispute with rival colonists led by a Queen, I negotiated the release of one of the colonists by threatening the Queen’s children and killing some of them, after which we detonated a nuclear bomb in her home. Later seeking vengeance, she attacked me and we dueled to the death.

Aliens, Ellen Ripley, Sigourney Weaver... tempted to have added that the Queen invited many of the colonists to have dinner with her family.

Bonus Question: Who was the actor referenced in question #1 and #5, and what were the names of the characters he played in that movie and TV show respectively?

Robert Patrick, who played the T-1000 in Terminator 2 and Colonel Marshall Sumner in Stargate Atlantis, I had originally had a clue for him for his appearance in Die Hard 2 as well, but while it fits the sequel theme it doesn't really fit the geek theme... ah well
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
This message last edited by Isaac on 29/12/2011 at 02:51:37 PM
Reply to message
Test Your Geekdom, Vol II: The Sequel - 29/12/2011 03:17:33 AM 1214 Views
The Answers - 29/12/2011 03:30:54 AM 631 Views
16. Got all points on five questions, and essentially nothing on the rest. *NM* - 29/12/2011 06:56:54 PM 252 Views
And still not able to reply in the right place. *NM* - 29/12/2011 06:57:14 PM 268 Views
I have to say - 29/12/2011 10:49:36 AM 532 Views
Re: I have to say - 29/12/2011 03:28:52 PM 647 Views
My answers. (15/33) - 29/12/2011 03:00:38 PM 508 Views
I ended up at 24/33. - 29/12/2011 03:27:18 PM 601 Views
I'm not a very good geek 11 - 11.5 / 33 - 29/12/2011 03:42:50 PM 627 Views
24ish, I suppose. The books were doing me in, of course. - 29/12/2011 06:10:51 PM 591 Views
7 points for me. - 29/12/2011 11:09:07 PM 649 Views

Reply to Message