Active Users:231 Time:07/05/2024 11:03:58 PM
Re: That's interesting, I took that train just two weeks ago. chandra Send a noteboard - 14/07/2012 01:29:01 AM
I am thinking of taking the Amtrak Coast Starlight train from San Jose to Portland.

From Emeryville to Portland, so nearly exactly the same distance.
How safe and comfortable is going in the coach class? Affordable sleeper class tickets are unavailable for my journey date. I will be journeying alone and have never journeyed in Amtrak before.

Hm, well, there's an amazing amount of leg room, compared to other trains and definitely airplanes, and you can tilt your seat back somewhat, but as to whether you're able to sleep in that... experiences will vary, I suppose. At least after the stop in Sacramento at midnight or so, there won't be too much noise and people getting on the train anymore.

As for safe, I had personally checked my main luggage and was only carrying around a small backpack, which I did take with me everywhere (read: to the lounge/panorama car, where I spent essentially all of my waking hours).
Is it advisable to leave my belongings at my seat, while I go for meals or to the lounge? If not, what options do I have?

Up to you, I suppose there is always a risk of theft... but you could always ask your neighbour or someone to look after your stuff for a while?
Any tips that will make my journey better?

The views in the early morning, in the border area of northern California and southern Oregon, were the prettiest imho, long forested valleys with some waterfalls. In the panorama car you get a few local people who give running commentary for a fairly long stretch in Oregon, I think it was like three hours - some of it was interesting, but the guy on my train didn't really seem to have what it takes to keep a crowd entertained for very long.

I didn't go for meals as I brought my own food, and I never really figured out their system... it seems that the staff first goes to ask all the sleeper passengers if and when they want to eat, and only then do the others get a chance to "book" tables. I got the impression that some speed was required, although at other times they repeatedly mentioned they still had some slots open.

Hope you have fun! Is it also the first time you go to Portland? Powell's is a must-see, and the food cart things are pretty cool. That's about all I saw, only stayed there for one afternoon myself...

Wow, thanks a lot for the detailed info which puts to rest all the reservations I had. For now, I changed my plans and decided to take a flight, because I felt I would become extremely bored for those 19-20 hours. But, I am planning another trip with friends, and will take the Amtrak then.

This is my first trip to Portland, I will surely check out the places you mentioned.
Isn't everyone in WoT re-born?
Reply to message
Amtrak Coast Starlight journey - 13/07/2012 01:02:42 AM 1996 Views
That's interesting, I took that train just two weeks ago. - 13/07/2012 10:09:57 PM 619 Views
Re: That's interesting, I took that train just two weeks ago. - 14/07/2012 01:29:01 AM 921 Views

Reply to Message