Active Users:218 Time:18/05/2024 08:35:01 AM
The Dickerson trade was in the strike year. His replacement took over as NFC-leading rusher... Cannoli Send a noteboard - 01/01/2013 02:33:51 AM
...proving what I have been saying all along. It's the line that matters. Though Peterson & Dickerson both seemed to have been among that select group that can elevate their game above and beyond the jump their line gives them.

The Colts are remembered chiefly as the team so awful they did not win a game in 1982 and drafted John Elway with the #1 overall draft, only to have him demand a trade and say he would go make millions pitching for the Yankees if he did not get it. The rest, as they say, is history: Baltimore traded Elway to Denver, where he carried the team to three Super Bowls by the end of the decade, and finally won a pair a decade after that; meanwhile, when the city of Baltimore refused the Colts own demand (a new stadium,) the team moved to Indianapolis the year after the Elway trade. Ironically, the Rams traded them Eric Dickerson the year after THAT,
Nuh-uh. 1987.
but even one of the best runners in history could not make them a decent team.

Thirty years later, here we sit lamenting the fact that, phenomenal as he is DESPITE tearing an ACL AND MCL at the end of last season, Peterson came up a mere 9 yards short of breaking Dickersons record. That context is pretty much the only one in which anyone will ever mention the early '80s Rams and Colts positively.
Trudat

If I thought the Vikings had a snowballs chance (so to speak) of winning at Lambeau, let alone advancing further, I might feel differently. Setting aside the Vikings' notorious and consistent playoff choking all the way back to Super Bowl IV, they lost (probably their best) two starting defensive backs during the Packers game, and one of their best (remaining) receivers probably got a concussion. And, of course, Lambeau in January....
Guaranteed road win? If Eli "hothouse flower" Manning can win there, who can't? I mean, the guy's ONLY cold-weather post-season success has been at Green Bay. Aside from that, he has won in Dallas, Tampa, Arizona, a dome in Indy, and SanFran. Plus a game in his home stadium where his D pitched a shutout and Eli effectively scored the only oppositional points.

Here is the real question: What if the officials had not awarded the Packers a TD by replay DESPITE acknowledging McCarthy threw his challenge flag, which should have nullified the replay (sustaining the field ruling: Fumble recovered by the Vikings in the endzone; touchback)? Would Peterson have come up nine yards short? After the TD, the Vikings went three-and-out, then the drove down to tie the game with a field goal; what if there had BEEN no TD (as there should not have been) and the Vikings had managed even as much as a field goal after recovering the fumble? Instead of getting the ball back with just a few minutes to play and trying to get within range to break the tie, they would have been up by at least 7, and possibly 10, points, and fed the ball to the leagues leading rusher for the rest of the game.

Is Peterson nine yards short then? No chance.
If your aunt had testicles, she'd be your uncle. A bigger injustice re: running backs is that RG3 might take Rookie of the Year despite not even being the best rookie on his team, let alone the league. Alfred Morris is the reason Griffin has had such a relatively good year by rookie QB standards. When you have such a viable running game, the rookie quarterback is able to content himself with the kind of dink-and-dunk passes that inflate stats and prevent you from being exposed because you never have to throw deep to catch up on huge scoring deficits. When you have a good power-running back/line combo, you can win a Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler or Trent Dilfer taking the snaps. Bad enough that this farce has already been perpetrated with the same franchise, where Doug Williams stole Timmy Smith's MVP award in Super Bowl XXII (yes, he threw for some spiffy TDs, but this was the same receiving corps that Jay Schroeder took to a 12-4 record the year before, combined with the Hogs giving all the time in the world to throw, against the team that one year before, had allowed a fairly unspectacular QB to set a Super Bowl passing record).

I'm leaning towards Rush Limbaugh being right about the media rooting for black quarterbacks. It might explain how the most-reviled-in-spite-of-his-success QB from last year has a similar style to the can-do-no-wrong QB of this year, but are treated completely differently. And I might add, those similar levels of success are despite a vast difference in the quality of the former Broncos coach each one played for.
Cannoli
“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” GK Chesteron
Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye!
Deus Vult!
*MySmiley*
Reply to message
Nine Yards Short; Part of Me Wishes Graham Missed that Kick - 31/12/2012 01:39:23 AM 721 Views
I'm not a fan of either team, but even I was disappointed about that. - 31/12/2012 02:56:46 AM 515 Views
That seems a fair assessment. - 31/12/2012 04:32:47 AM 493 Views
You seem to have forgotten that football is a team game. - 31/12/2012 02:18:17 PM 430 Views
No, I remember what the Rams and Colts were like in the early '80s. - 31/12/2012 04:14:28 PM 356 Views
The Dickerson trade was in the strike year. His replacement took over as NFC-leading rusher... - 01/01/2013 02:33:51 AM 442 Views
I stand corrected; sorry. - 01/01/2013 08:42:04 PM 464 Views

Reply to Message