Active Users:149 Time:20/05/2024 02:24:15 PM
Perhaps. Nate Send a noteboard - 29/01/2013 10:27:36 PM
Not sure many athletes hold back for fear of injury anyway, so I don't know that it would make any difference except in competitions they don't attach great importance to winning and so try to save themselves for the big games - it is far from unusual for athletes to compete when carrying injuries which will be worsened by competing and not just risk ending their career but their long term health.

I'm thinking mainly in terms of hockey, because that's the sport I know best. There are collisions in hockey that can be very damaging even though they're not against the rules of the game, simply because you have large men in lots of protective equipment going as fast as possible across a surface with minimal friction. There are some players who are much more aggressive in their body-to-body contact than others, and some of those players become forces within the game, through means of intimidation and sheer power. Within hockey they're known as power forwards. Peter Forsberg, a Swedish player, is a good example for my purposes. He was a power forward who played a tough, fast style of hockey. If someone was in his way he would knock them out of the way as often as he'd try to skate around them, all perfectly legal within the sport. He was one of the highest scoring players for a number of years. But his playstyle likely caused him to become worn down by injuries, and he was forced to retire earlier. It was his choice to play that way, and he benefited greatly from it until the consequences caught up to him.

But many other players, even if they still play hard, don't play that hard. They'll pull up sometimes rather than always put their body on the line in order to physically dominate their opponents. Some players rely more on speed, some more on accuracy, and these players can be hurt or have their effectiveness reduced by players who are more aggressive and reckless. It's part of the balance of the game as it's played today.

But if Peter Forsberg, and players like him, were able to recover faster from injuries, that would affect the balance and tip it toward reckless, physically powerful play at the expense of speed and accuracy. Your point about the regulatory body of the sport is well taken, though. There are ways to curtail the type of play through application of the rules, but I still find it troublesome.

Hockey's not the only example. The sport I know second best is baseball, and Buster Posey, a catcher for the San Francisco Giants, plays into this example. During the 2011 season Posey was blocking the plate to stop a runner from scoring, and the runner collided with him, which is allowed in baseball rules. Posey's leg was broken on the play and he missed the rest of the season, damaging his team's chances. Posey is a powerful batter as well as being a catcher, so his team didn't want to risk further injury. When he came back after his leg healed, the team instructed him to no longer block the plate. Posey now attempts swipe tags instead, which reduces his defensive effectiveness as a conscious trade-off for his health and longevity. A drug that increased healing would see teams making different decisions. There would not longer be such a trade-off, no longer a need to balance risk and reward in the same way as they do now. A player like Posey could be more defensively effective with less worry, because if he got hurt he would heal up faster.

So I think your assumption that athletes could take more risks is incorrect - they'll already do as much as the rules/ laws of the sport allow.

Not in every case, as I think I've shown. There are other examples, in hockey and baseball at least, that I could point to.

This assumes an inactive governance structure - obviously not the case in any sport.

But this is a good point, as I said above. Imbalances in a game can be corrected by its governing body. However, this could be at a cost to the game itself. In hockey again, if players started hitting harder and in a more reckless and dangerous fashion because of a reduced chance of lasting injuries, the NHL could mandate stricter penalties for hitting too hard. But that could have a negative effect on the game as a whole. Fans love the hitting, so reducing it in the game might hurt the appeal. At any rate the sport would be a little different than it was before, so I guess the sport would have to ask itself if the possibility of change would be worth reduced healing time for its athletes.
Warder to starry_nite

Chapterfish — Nate's Writing Blog
http://chapterfish.wordpress.com
Reply to message
Are all PEDs cheating? - 29/01/2013 06:46:28 PM 377 Views
isn't "healing faster than humanly possible" pretty much equivalent to "gain an unfair advantage"? *NM* - 29/01/2013 08:17:09 PM 147 Views
Depends, I think. - 29/01/2013 08:48:45 PM 293 Views
You make a good argument, sir *NM* - 29/01/2013 08:55:44 PM 123 Views
Not if everyone has equal access to that ability. - 02/02/2013 06:10:53 PM 264 Views
I prefer to think about it like this: - 29/01/2013 08:34:35 PM 290 Views
And what exactly is a PED? - 29/01/2013 08:54:17 PM 260 Views
Yeah, I didn't even want to get into that. - 29/01/2013 09:12:26 PM 265 Views
Um. - 29/01/2013 09:15:53 PM 278 Views
no. - 29/01/2013 09:00:02 PM 338 Views
What if ... - 29/01/2013 09:21:00 PM 274 Views
I think your assumptions are flawed... - 29/01/2013 10:01:11 PM 368 Views
Perhaps. - 29/01/2013 10:27:36 PM 287 Views
Yes - 29/01/2013 10:23:17 PM 259 Views

Reply to Message