Active Users:330 Time:16/05/2024 06:26:28 AM
Depends on if it is limit one per customer Isaac Send a noteboard - 27/02/2013 11:40:39 PM

View original postI don't really have any reason or point for asking this other than it quirks my interest. But if I must supply a purpose: could perhaps the answer give the true value of political representation in the Senate?

A lot of people who can't be bothered to even register to vote obviously wouldn't bid, many others would refuse to buy one or refuse to buy more than one on principle. Eventually if their were a set number of these, or a set number related to population, it would amount to stock and stabilize at a price you'd see on the ticker. Since someone might conceivably use a vote for decades and the government handles trillions every year, around $10,000 per capita per year they could go for very high values. 150,000,001 votes could be cast to give one self and allies every available penny.

If it were limit one per customer no one would bid more than one cent, no point, except maybe for Vote #1 or 'my lucky number' type stuff.

As to the merits of such a system, I don't think there are many pros compared to cons. There's always a temptation to find a way to remind everyone that freedom is bought with blood and gold but the problem with that is that most people know that and those who don't have failed to absorb that knowledge after 18+ years of living in a culture that devotes much of our holidays, entertainment/media, and schooling to reminding people of that. It mostly works, but a lot of people feel otherwise because they measure that commitment and devotion mostly in terms of how they'd expect them to manifest, either in type or degree, which is an understandable gauge but not likely a very accurate one.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
This message last edited by Isaac on 27/02/2013 at 11:41:02 PM
Reply to message
A weird little thought experiment about auctioning off three hundred million Senate seats. - 27/02/2013 07:49:48 PM 515 Views
Depends on if it is limit one per customer - 27/02/2013 11:40:39 PM 229 Views
Pretty much what Isaac said. - 28/02/2013 03:16:39 PM 212 Views
A lot will have to do with how fast you sell the lot. - 28/02/2013 08:34:52 PM 220 Views
I'm assuming there would be a time limit on getting them out - 28/02/2013 10:55:45 PM 233 Views

Reply to Message