Active Users:265 Time:02/05/2024 02:44:48 PM
Re: Duly noted Joel Send a noteboard - 11/03/2013 10:34:36 PM

View original postIn regard to MacArthur as mentioned I was only discussing his specific relationship with Truman in regards to him being sacked. Like I said, neither of them rates as wonderful people in book, nor villains. Ask my opinion on Ike or Nimitz and you'll get general solid approval though not hero worship or ignorance of his failings. To me they are historical figures, and I assume all historical figures bare only minimal relation to the real people they were based on.

Well, that is the thing, I do not see any way Truman could avoid relieving MacArthur AND preserve US democracy. If a general already wildly popular at home and abroad can overrule an unpopular president and dictate foreign policy to him, it will not be long before he is dictating domestic policy as well, and decides to formally replace de jure civilian "authority" with de facto military authority. Truman was strategically correct; I am just not sure avoiding the current Korean situation, or even the Cold War (and if Truman goes into China before the Soviet split we end up fighting them, too, though by that time we would probably have them in a vicious pincer they have NEVER faced) would have been worth the cost of American fascism.
View original post
View original postChina cannot afford to stand aside in any armed conflict between the US and any East Asian nation, especially in Korea. The geographic and historic context would send precisely the wrong message to the world, the US, the ASEAN and Chinas own people. I keep drawing the parallel between the Korean Conflict and the Cuban Missile Crisis, but that really does not work, simply because the Soviet Union had not run roughshod over the US throughout the Americas for an entire century before that. Even if North Korea were not three minutes by missile from Beijing, letting the US dictate policy in Chinas backyard would almost automatically reinstate the Open Door Policy, which China cannot allow.

China would obviously have to get involved in some fashion but an actual war on that peninsula would last days not years. That's not a lot of time to decide the fate of your nation.

Further clarification: A peninsular war with Korea would last days, or one with China? I agree China would not have long to decide whether to defend North Korea if we attacked, but also expect they would do so in under five minutes (not hyperbole.) They might have no choice; again, Beijing is only three minutes from North Korea by Teapodong-2. I just cannot see them allowing even a "temporary" US (or allied South Korean) occupation of North Korea; it would be hard to imagine even without the Century of Humiliation and Chinas current nationalism and economic resurgence, but with all those things together? No way.

China has always, or at least since around the birth of Christ, considered Korea one of its provinces. It has often been so in all but name, and Imperial Japan combined with the Wests prostration of China is the only reason maps have not reflected that since the Nineteenth Century. It is to Japan and China what Alsace and the Saar are to France and Germany, or Poland to Russia and Germany. I imagine you already know all this, but that is the basis of my perspective here, or at least part of it. Also throw in the Opium Wars, Open Door, Taiwan, our growing economic competiton and Chinese youth whose government has told them for a generation the US has no business meddling it their internal affairs (read: All of Southeast Asia.)

I just see no tenable way China CAN stand aside, whether or not it wants to do so. Its leaders may be forced to the same calculated risk as ours: Not whether to fight a war they do not want, but on their terms or ours. I doubt I need to tell you or them wars are always better fought on ones own terms than ones enemys.

Honorbound and honored to be Bonded to Mahtaliel Sedai
Last First in wotmania Chat
Slightly better than chocolate.

Love still can't be coerced.
Please Don't Eat the Newbies!

LoL. Be well, RAFOlk.
Reply to message
North Korea Withdraws from Korean War Armistice - 08/03/2013 10:39:44 PM 1201 Views
Again? Didn't they "tear up the armistice" a few years ago? - 08/03/2013 10:49:59 PM 518 Views
They said they were "no longer obligated" after the second nuke test, and would resist attacks. - 09/03/2013 10:16:17 PM 608 Views
Not to diminish the role of China in this but you're bypassing the actual issue - 09/03/2013 11:26:18 PM 540 Views
I would like it noted I responded to you before you responded to me. - 09/03/2013 11:40:18 PM 630 Views
Duly noted - 10/03/2013 01:03:59 AM 623 Views
Re: Duly noted - 11/03/2013 06:14:59 PM 564 Views
Re: Duly noted - 11/03/2013 07:05:17 PM 602 Views
Re: Duly noted - 11/03/2013 10:34:36 PM 507 Views
Re: Duly noted - 12/03/2013 02:04:05 AM 593 Views
One word: evacuation. - 10/03/2013 03:22:42 AM 492 Views
Time constraints - 10/03/2013 04:37:51 AM 628 Views
NK artillery myth - 10/03/2013 03:59:36 PM 648 Views

Reply to Message