Active Users:206 Time:18/05/2024 11:33:59 AM
Surprisingly I'm not much of a XKCD fan, I tend to enjoy about 1 in 4 Isaac Send a noteboard - 05/04/2013 10:53:11 PM

View original post#5 on the Early Human Intelligence list doesn't even make much sense to me, why/how were we eating cooked meat prior to the intelligence boost?

I've no idea, bio ain't my cup of tea but it was really only the calorie comment that resonated.

View original postIt is an interesting point you bring up though. I hadn't thought about the relationship between gravity and brain size/intelligence before. It's incredible how many factors and variables there are, and how they affect each other. Not that I'd expect it to be simple, of course.

It doubtless is a nightmare, though its fun to ponder.

View original postAnd maybe I don't know enough of the "normal" solutions to the Fermi Paradox, but the last one on the 11 Weirdest Solutions article didn't seem all that far-fetched.

Oh, those are pretty much the normal popular ones, the title is iffy/flashy. However those are the mainstream popular ones but not the main serious ones by and large, at least not the ones that fail what sometimes gets called 'non-exclusivity', which is to say a lot of the theories will posit a set of behavior that in order to function as a silence would require every individual race and likely every individual member to have to follow it. You can suggest 'They don't want to talk to us' but then you need to justify why every alien race feels that way and all its members too, and "Humans are boring" or "Humans are Dangerous" are serious cop outs. "Every single member of every alien race does not want to talk to us, period" is just stretching it.

Personally I'm in the 'if sentient aliens are more common then 1 per galaxy per billion years evolving we wouldn't be here' school of thought.

Most of the other theories (why its a paradox, they mostly suck as answers) require "Dumb Aliens", "Prick Aliens", or similar.

View original postAnyway, interesting articles and ideas, thanks for the links.

No prob, glad the the semi-random amalgamation of articles was interesting

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
Human Intelligence, Aliens, and Conspiracy Theories - 04/04/2013 02:46:55 PM 883 Views
That XKCD is one of my favorites - 05/04/2013 06:21:50 PM 511 Views
Surprisingly I'm not much of a XKCD fan, I tend to enjoy about 1 in 4 - 05/04/2013 10:53:11 PM 347 Views
i, for one, welcome our new lizard people overlords... - 06/04/2013 04:35:09 PM 356 Views

Reply to Message