Active Users:210 Time:18/05/2024 10:46:15 AM
Part of the problem is that very few people would have gone 0/20 on that one Isaac Send a noteboard - 07/04/2013 09:21:08 PM

View original posti know a large number of normally rational, thinking people who are quite far left libs politically who will argue until they fall down that 9/11 was perpetrated by the bush administration and was rigged to blow so that the wars on iraq and afghanistan could be more easily justified. they think groups like the national society of professional engineers are wrong about the collapse, because they saw some video on youtube which says it was rigged therefore things like physics and structural integrity are immaterial because they KNOW it's all wrong. as i always like to joke "lack of evidence is proof the conspiracy is working".

It isn't so much that we all know a few people who are otherwise sound of mind but believe in one of these, it is that almost everyone we know believes in one of them. And to make things worse, a lot of the people who would go 0/20 or disbelieve a given conspiracy do it for the wrong reasons. I get involved in those as third wheel a lot because friends know I'm a scientist and will ask for my input when they argue about them. Also I have this innate empathy thing going on that means when people are talking with me face to face they end up thinking I agree with them even when I've just told them I don't over and over again, because I always see where they're coming from even if they themselves don't. So they ask me to weigh in and I get to regularly find myself with one person who believes in something backwardness and another who doesn't, but doesn't for dumb reasons, the "Adam's Rib Stance" I tend to think of it. The other regular one is thinking people are morons, so at 'chemtrail' argument the person who didn't buy the conspiracy went into great - and terribly incorrect - explanation of what contrails were only to be put down by the conspiracy nut who did understand what contrails were, explained them correctly, and said they just think they the gov't uses them to deliver chemicals too. Its awkward when you have to tell the seemingly sane person that the nutter is, in fact, quite correct about what a contrail is and that they themselves had been spouting utter gibberish.

View original postbut it gives me pause to think that people have such a hard time coping with reality that they invent or grab onto the first thing that reinforces their belief system so that they can continue to live their lives being on the "correct" side of how they view history. i shouldn't expect everyone to be a Skeptic, but i think it should not be asking too much for people to have some kind of bias towards objectivity when there is an abundance of evidence to debunk the myth several times over. i agree it would have helped to know educational background on this particular poll, but i also know that i've talked to people who supposedly were able to graduate from a respectable university and i would consider them crackpots when it comes to certain topics.

Oh, I didn't mean that apparently smart and educated folk would have done better, I just meant I expect most people with a science/geek background to assume that Earth is probably not the only place with life, even sentient life, on it in the Universe, and that people with degrees are probably disproportionately going to meet that criteria. Reason is usually just a handy horse for people to arrive at their desired destination faster and with less chance of being discouraged along the way.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
Human Intelligence, Aliens, and Conspiracy Theories - 04/04/2013 02:46:55 PM 883 Views
That XKCD is one of my favorites - 05/04/2013 06:21:50 PM 511 Views
i, for one, welcome our new lizard people overlords... - 06/04/2013 04:35:09 PM 356 Views
You know I only found out recently that predates the Simpsons - 06/04/2013 06:18:13 PM 363 Views
here's where i have a problem with conspiracies, in general - 07/04/2013 05:40:20 PM 398 Views
Part of the problem is that very few people would have gone 0/20 on that one - 07/04/2013 09:21:08 PM 399 Views

Reply to Message