Active Users:320 Time:09/06/2024 05:24:52 PM
You don't really know shit about anything, do you? Tom Send a noteboard - 22/05/2014 11:02:26 PM

The private label Investment Banks were able to sell these "investments", these "Mortgage Back Securities," to many organizations that were wanting security yet higher growth than traditional bonds.

Mortgage-backed securities, not "mortgage back securities". And you make it sound like the banks were lying, when in reality they thought the rating agencies were reviewing the underlying portfolios, which they weren't.

Thus the people that were worse by the financial collapse were the people who are required by bylaws to use safe investments ("trusts and pensions" ), foreign capital that was seeking the safety of US economy, and the investment banks themselves who had a portfolio of assets "safe assets" and "risky assets" and assumed that since the mortgage back securities were rated AAA than they must be safe assets, of course when the MBA were revealed to be junk these investment banks had to acquire capital for they discovered they were overleveraged.

That is perhaps one of the most tortured sentences I've seen in quite some time. Let's unpack it: mortgage-backed securities were not all rated "AAA" (or the Moody's equivalent "Aaa", which is the same grade). In fact, even the best tranche of notes were unlikely to be AAA. For pension plans and trusts to invest, though, they only have to be investment grade, which is BBB-/Baa3. The C and D tranches of a typical CDO would still be investment grade (if they were rated at all; the lower tranches had less interest and were usually bought by the manager or other entities that accepted the risk). Your use of the term "MBA" is also wrong - I'm not sure what you're trying to refer to. I really have no clue, no matter how I try to turn it, what you mean by "these investment banks had to acquire capital for they discovered they were overleveraged" - the banks were underwriters who sold to insurance companies, pension plans and other institutions. Their problem was that they started issuing credit default swaps that they never realized they would have to pay out on. And that realization hit in 2008, when the shit hit the fan.

This is why all the investments banks were folded into traditional banking system and the various governments / banking institutions loaned money to these now "bigger banks," the banks though did not loan out the money to the businesses though for they could not, they were psychically paralyzed with fear,

Huh? What are you smoking? Glass-Steagall was repealed under Bill Clinton in 1999 and its repeal was not motivated by a then tiny securitization and CDO industry. It was done to help underwriting requirements. I actually laughed out loud with the absurd "they were psychically paralyzed with fear" statement. I don't know what you do, but don't quit your day job to become a writer.

Freddie and Fannie did insurasized the housing market, but they were in competition with the private label banks offering their own mortgage back securities. Freddie and Fannie bought the "safe mortgages" the ones that followed traditional rules, the private label banks got the rest of the market, the part of the market that had greater profit but was also greater risk. The private label banks in many instances though did not really own the debt they were just instead middle men who packaged the debt into a mortage back security and then sold it to another institution.

Insurasized? Did you even graduate from high school? I think you need more edumacation if you think insurasized is a word. You also seem to have a very poor understanding of the mortgage industry. All mortgages are repackaged and resold.

There was also Collateralized Debt Obligations (which this is a vast simplification) are insurance that if a debt does not make a certain yield the insurance company will pay up. Unlike normal insurance this was unrelegated and you didn't have to have collateral for these CDOs, this was what killed American International Group (AIG). It was the CDOs that allowed the investment banks to pretend that the shit they were selling was as safe as other AAA goods, it was the cloak to hide the emperor who in reality was really naked.

Uh...no. A Collateralized Debt Obligation is actually what you were attempting to talk about above. It is a repackaging of a repackaging of mortgages. Bank A sells 1,000 mortgages into a holding company that then issues notes against the receivables that are supposed to be sold, and the pool is overcollateralized to avoid default risk. That is a securitization. A CDO is when the notes from those securitizations are then themselves securitized to further spread risk. The problem was that there was too much money that needed to be deployed and not enough good assets to go around, so mortgage initiators started doing subprime loans, and the notion that successive waves of securitization would spread risk only held solid so long as the underlying pool of mortgages was mixed - once they were all shit, you could repackage it a million times over and still have shit. What sunk AIG was not the CDO market, but the CDS (Credit Default Swap) market. That was originally designed to act as a hedge for banks that found themselves holding CDO notes - it was an exact one-for-one hedge. The problem was that people realized you could buy the things without holding the notes in the first place, like a naked put (I'll let you look that one up).

Political correctness is the pettiest form of casuistry.

ἡ δὲ κἀκ τριῶν τρυπημάτων ἐργαζομένη ἐνεκάλει τῇ φύσει, δυσφορουμένη, ὅτι δὴ μὴ καὶ τοὺς τιτθοὺς αὐτῇ εὐρύτερον ἢ νῦν εἰσι τρυπώη, ὅπως καὶ ἄλλην ἐνταῦθα μίξιν ἐπιτεχνᾶσθαι δυνατὴ εἴη. – Procopius

Ummaka qinnassa nīk!

*MySmiley*
Reply to message
Can we charge criminal manslaughter to the people involved in the VA appointment booking case? - 20/05/2014 05:11:00 PM 719 Views
Obsession with Hillary Clinton - 20/05/2014 07:07:56 PM 529 Views
Welcome to government run health care..... *NM* - 20/05/2014 08:43:49 PM 176 Views
And people in wall street caused the financial catastrophe of 2008 - 20/05/2014 10:14:40 PM 525 Views
The government caused the crisis every bit as much as Wall Street..... - 21/05/2014 03:57:01 AM 431 Views
The facts do not bear you out *NM* - 21/05/2014 04:12:02 AM 202 Views
Yes they do. *NM* - 21/05/2014 06:37:28 PM 191 Views
Nuh uh! You're a big mean meanie head! *NM* - 22/05/2014 12:13:54 AM 240 Views
the government didn't ressure banks to give loans to high risk groups? - 21/05/2014 07:12:19 PM 440 Views
The loans that defaulted were almost not connected to Freddie or Fannie - 21/05/2014 08:47:57 PM 454 Views
So you agree the governmnet played a major role - 22/05/2014 01:08:12 PM 508 Views
I agree with what you said - 22/05/2014 08:11:38 PM 468 Views
You don't really know shit about anything, do you? - 22/05/2014 11:02:26 PM 489 Views

Reply to Message