Active Users:316 Time:03/05/2024 03:37:16 PM
Well, I never said everyone in the US was as crass about it as him. Legolas Send a noteboard - 10/06/2014 11:36:02 PM

View original postClaiming national credit/shame for the good/ill deeds done by your country has a longer shelf life I think. But there are still thousands of WWII soldiers kicking around many times that of people who directly felt the Nazi boot on their neck to offer thanks. Also, while A2k was a touch crass about it, if a Frenchmen posted "July 4th, your welcome America!" the responses woudl range from "Hey, that's right, Thanks!" to grumbling reminders that the debt has been repaid not hit some sort of statue of limitations of gratitude. It was a lot more than 70 years between AmRev and the world wars but we did actually run a lot of propaganda reminding people we owed the French as part of that war effort.

I certainly respect the veterans of WW2, whichever country they fought for. But when it comes to honouring individual surviving veterans, there is even less reason to distinguish between those of one country or those of another.

As for repaying debts, I suppose we will have to wait and see until some opportunity comes along. When such a time comes, I dare say we'll also need that kind of propaganda.

First time I ever see "AmRev", sounds very flashy and modern I have to say... is that your own creation?

View original postPerspective: We don't sit around clapping ourselves on the back on D-day here Paul, we celebrate the surviving and dead grandfathers who actually fought there. And I'm pretty sure just about every broadcast about it says "Allied Forces" not "American", and Churchill, Montgomery, and De Gaulle remain household names accorded equal respect with Eisenhower, Patton, and Nimitz and heck I think they're approval rating probably exceeds FDR's.

I replied to the post that was made, not to the general D-Day celebrations. Blame trzaska. And yes, I dare say De Gaulle has a much higher approval rating than he deserves among Americans, arguably Churchill as well - since both proved to be rather less successful leaders in times of peace than in times of war. Of course, that's only fair since the opposite also holds, that the reputations of American presidents abroad are, obviously, mostly made by their foreign/military achievements. FDR's approval rating here probably does exceed Churchill's or De Gaulle's...

Reply to message
70th Anniversary of D-Day.....to all of Europe, You're Welcome! - 07/06/2014 01:13:04 PM 623 Views
I believe this is a good illustration... - 08/06/2014 07:03:14 PM 508 Views
yes we can feel the love and gratitude flowing across the Atlantic *NM* - 08/06/2014 10:18:23 PM 216 Views
Kind of debatable since there are still people alive to give thanks to - 10/06/2014 08:32:15 AM 471 Views
Well, I never said everyone in the US was as crass about it as him. - 10/06/2014 11:36:02 PM 413 Views
True enough - 11/06/2014 02:57:51 AM 524 Views

Reply to Message