Active Users:220 Time:20/04/2024 02:55:27 AM
True enough Isaac Send a noteboard - 11/06/2014 02:57:51 AM

View original post
View original postClaiming national credit/shame for the good/ill deeds done by your country has a longer shelf life I think. But there are still thousands of WWII soldiers kicking around many times that of people who directly felt the Nazi boot on their neck to offer thanks. Also, while A2k was a touch crass about it, if a Frenchmen posted "July 4th, your welcome America!" the responses woudl range from "Hey, that's right, Thanks!" to grumbling reminders that the debt has been repaid not hit some sort of statue of limitations of gratitude. It was a lot more than 70 years between AmRev and the world wars but we did actually run a lot of propaganda reminding people we owed the French as part of that war effort.

View original postI certainly respect the veterans of WW2, whichever country they fought for. But when it comes to honouring individual surviving veterans, there is even less reason to distinguish between those of one country or those of another.

View original postAs for repaying debts, I suppose we will have to wait and see until some opportunity comes along. When such a time comes, I dare say we'll also need that kind of propaganda.

Here's to hoping it never needs repaying, such debts are usually hard to collect and come when one is pretty bad off.

View original postFirst time I ever see "AmRev", sounds very flashy and modern I have to say... is that your own creation?

I'm not proud, I'll claim it, but I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere before even if google indicates it is at best very uncommon.

View original post
View original postPerspective: We don't sit around clapping ourselves on the back on D-day here Paul, we celebrate the surviving and dead grandfathers who actually fought there. And I'm pretty sure just about every broadcast about it says "Allied Forces" not "American", and Churchill, Montgomery, and De Gaulle remain household names accorded equal respect with Eisenhower, Patton, and Nimitz and heck I think they're approval rating probably exceeds FDR's.

View original postI replied to the post that was made, not to the general D-Day celebrations. Blame trzaska. And yes, I dare say De Gaulle has a much higher approval rating than he deserves among Americans, arguably Churchill as well - since both proved to be rather less successful leaders in times of peace than in times of war. Of course, that's only fair since the opposite also holds, that the reputations of American presidents abroad are, obviously, mostly made by their foreign/military achievements. FDR's approval rating here probably does exceed Churchill's or De Gaulle's...

I already blamed Trzaska, criticizing his remarks seems to be a close third place in my hobbies here after sneering at left wingers and the clear #1, condescendingly pontificating at anyone masochistic enough to read my remarks. You're right of course, foreign leaders of friendly nations are better liked by those abroad then at home. Thatcher is much more popular in the US, though I don't think the reverse is as true of Reagan.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
70th Anniversary of D-Day.....to all of Europe, You're Welcome! - 07/06/2014 01:13:04 PM 619 Views
I believe this is a good illustration... - 08/06/2014 07:03:14 PM 503 Views
yes we can feel the love and gratitude flowing across the Atlantic *NM* - 08/06/2014 10:18:23 PM 214 Views
Kind of debatable since there are still people alive to give thanks to - 10/06/2014 08:32:15 AM 464 Views
Well, I never said everyone in the US was as crass about it as him. - 10/06/2014 11:36:02 PM 409 Views
True enough - 11/06/2014 02:57:51 AM 516 Views

Reply to Message