Active Users:311 Time:06/05/2024 01:30:15 PM
Re: I dare you Cannoli Send a noteboard - 21/06/2016 07:07:00 PM

Negativity has a place. In the natural world, down to the subatomic level, literal negativity plays a necessary role. Positivity and openness and being welcoming only works if both parties are doing it. It only takes one person to start a fight or a war. Clearly defined limitations and boundaries are the real key to amicable or tolerable dealings with other people, and negativity helps with that. Do NOT cross that line, for example.

People like to complain about negative campaign ads, in one instance, but negative ads, so long as they are not slanderous, often offer actual information. Positive ads are often vague, unspecific promises or exhortations, that really don't have much to do with making a rational decision.

In making decisions, people talk about making lists of pros AND cons. A list of only the former would not be much use.

So I'm gonna ask everyone who reads this to post something that makes you feel good that gives you positive energy at least once a day and NOT post anything with a negative message for the rest of the month. (Hey the month is half over, cant be that hard)

Look upon negative posts as an opportunity to respond with positivity.

I also ask my Christian friends and relations, my Pagan/Wiccan friends and relations, my agnostic/atheist friends and relations, my Muslim, Hindu, Jewish...all ya'll to pray, light candles, meditate, get together with one another and send positive thoughts, positive energy out into the world. Cuz we really need it.

These sorts of exhortations are insulting, obnoxious & condescending. I respect devout Muslims a lot more than you kinds of people do with your bullshit "coexist" bumper stickers. All these kinds of admonitions say to me is "I don't think your concerns and beliefs are important, so I demand that you stop taking them so seriously." There is no reason a Muslim should respect my beliefs, since I idolatrously worship a mere prophet and heretically slander God by attributing to him the blasphemously mortal characteristic of reproduction. And I have similar issues with them. This stuff IS important to us, because it is central to our understanding of the Divine, and by extension, existence itself. The symbol of my Church is a key, and a key only works if it is a specific and precise shape, and is unchanging. You can't jam just any old thing into a lock to open it, and a flexible key won't open the lock.

For people with a true religious conviction, insisting on their way is an act of love for other people. Too many politically correct types, who claim to admire freedom and support personal liberty, get bent out of shape over people refusing to take vaccines, and insist that they do the right thing for their health. If imposing on others to improve a single aspect of their health that might or might not prolong their life by a few years, how much more so the mandate to insist people attune their lives and behavior to preserve their eternal existence?

All the supposedly reasonable complaints and admonitions against religious fanaticism or excess are actually insane if seriously considered from any perspective but the secularist one. So in essence, your insistence that we get along and cease our disagreements over so fundamental and incompatible an issue, is merely a way of admitting you don't take the reality of our beliefs seriously. A similarly stupid notion is the one that doctrine and practice should adapt to the times. Religion is nothing more or less than a guide or definition of peoples' relationship to an immortal, eternal and perfect entity. What about the terms "eternal" or "perfect" suggest that such a relationship should adapt to temporal fashions? Once again, such expectations betray a fundamental lack of respect for believers and an insistence that they do not act in accordance with their beliefs. You don't have to share our beliefs, but stop telling us to act as if WE don't believe them!

Stop acting like religion is some sort of problem or responsible for behavior that is in direct contradiction to their express teachings. Stop demanding that we act in a way to take responsibility for the actions of individuals, or offering pseudo-respectful requests that amount to "shut up and sit down." You want to be positive, try positively affirming the right of people to truly believe and live as they wish. Extorting people to behave or tolerate in simplistic messages like this has no teeth. Looking for root solutions and imaginary energy that denies individual free will and responsibility is no better than putting women in giant bags to prevent lust. Let people think what they want, and rely on guns and firepower (and borders) to keep their actions within acceptable limitations.

The Orlando thing was a bad event. And it's done and over. There is nothing to be done now, and it's not the sort of thing which it is possible to prevent any possibility of recurrence without unconscionable limitations on personal liberty. Accept that and move on. All those people were going to die anyway, and no one has a guarantee of more time than they got. Hey, maybe tomorrow, in a universe where the massacre never happened, maybe one of those victims would have killed someone in a car accident or inadvertantly caused a tragic mishap with mass fatalities at Disenyland. It's sad and wrong, but it's not anything more than that. Nor is it, technically speaking, a tragedy. If you want to talk about positive energy, why not refrain from dwelling on this stuff? It's actually kind of arrogant to take upon ourselves any responsibility for these events, or assume we have the power to prevent them.

I hearby vow never to machine gun a nightclub unless I see some certain proof that they are possessed by demons or aliens. And if I ever catch someone planning such a thing, I will admonish them against it in the strongest possible terms. And call the police if they won't listen. There. I've done my part, and everything that can reasonably be expected of me. Spread the word and tell everone else. It probably won't inspire the same sort of self-congratulatory feelings, but the secret to worldly contentment is managing your expectations.

Cannoli
“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” GK Chesteron
Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye!
Deus Vult!
*MySmiley*
Reply to message
I dare you - 17/06/2016 04:59:56 AM 953 Views
Unsurprisingly, I'm in the middle - 21/06/2016 01:49:21 PM 463 Views
Re: I dare you - 21/06/2016 07:07:00 PM 653 Views

Reply to Message