Active Users:323 Time:03/05/2024 11:36:36 AM
Re: That's not really a moderate though Isaac Send a noteboard - 08/01/2010 07:26:14 PM
By and large, if you have opinions on stuff, one party meets your needs better than another, and you say, 'better 6 out of 10 then 4' very few genuinely straddle the middle. Some, of course, simply have views which are too antithetical to be with either group, many libertarians are of this group, I wouldn't call them moderate, even though many if judged on a dem-rep axis would show up as such.

I've heard of lots of people who claim to have voted for both parties, especially people who've been around a while. Elections wouldn't be nearly as exciting if independent voters who swing back and forth are as rare as you seem to suggest. Of course the current polarization and the two-party-system discourages that, but still there are lots of people in that position, I would think.

I think you mistook me there, I'm not suggesting that independents who swing back and forth are rare, I'm suggesting we have more of them then is healthy.

We are very specifically not talking about people who after careful study and review just can't align with either party, we're talking about people who don't know much and have chosen to assume non-partisianship is somehow on a higher moral plane, a celebration of ignorance, though they would never admit to it.

I can see how that would be annoying.

It is definetly better, as you say, to acknowledge neutrality if you meet that bill, but really, how often does someone who is genuinely knowledgeable of politics have no opinion on something? Fairly common, sure, but all the issues? Not very often. Yes, later on it isn't abnormal to have some sort of issue where you say "Well, I don't really support tariffs but I understand why we need them, so either is fine by me" or such. This is that less than 10% I refer to. They're entirely ready to give the pros and cons.

They may have an opinion but still feel undecided about a proposed law or change. The current health care laws are a good example - I don't think I'm the only one who is rather torn on the question whether the benefits outweigh the costs, and whether I'd vote for it as a Rep/Senator, or not. After all, laws are often complicated compromises like that. The ones that are not and on which you can take one of those fun, comforting, self-righteous, uncompromising stances, as most people on both sides do on gay marriage for instance, are really a minority, I should think.

Undecided is fine, there's not many things I'm decided on, I tend to view a lack of doubt as a dangerous symptom. If tomorrow they threw up a vote to see if we'd legalize drugs, I'm not sure how I'd vote. There's a big difference between saying 'both sides have their points, I don't know' and actually meaning it, and 'both sides are overly polarized, we need to find some middle ground'. Drugs being legal is either right or wrong, I don't want a middle ground to be found. Abortion is either right or wrong, I don't want a diplomatic solution to appease both sides. I can tolerate it going against my beliefs, I can accept that a peaceful non-solution was reached as a temporary truce, I'm not aiming for either as my goal, I can just accept it as a solution.

Let's take a case like israel and palestine. Lots of people have a side on that issue, right or wrong. How often do you hear some ninny say "I just don't see what their arguing about" that's the group of mods I dislike. They don't know what they're talking about, but they still decide to have a position and they basically picked it for some sort of illusionary 'higher moral ground' when in reality they simply don't know what they're talking about, and they simply don't get that while neutrality is an option, neutrality through ignorance is just as bad or worse than picking a side.

I'm not sure I agree with you there actually. As much as it annoys me how 95% of people discussing that particular topic is woefully ignorant about at least some aspects of the history of the conflict, I would have to prefer someone entirely ignorant who tries to take a neutral position, over those countless people who vehemently choose one side or the other based on much more extensive but still incomplete knowledge. Perhaps even over people who vehemently choose one side while perfectly informed.

The problem being a desire for resolution with a minimum of bloodshed is the goal we mostly have in mind there, and I wouldn't want the decisions made by those with no knowledge. A desire for a resolution which avoids bloodshed is laudible, yet when done in ignorance is as likely to give a tyrant a victory as not, and in such a case a bloodless resolution is not the moral route. People are welcome to be ignorant, you can't know it all, but then they should be responsible enough to say 'I do not know enough on this, I will vote in a way that increases the odds that those with knowledge of the matter will win, lacking knowledge, I will not dillute their voice and will simply not vote on it'.

These are the sorts who if one side was horribly wrong and the other totally right would still be 'moderate', and they're saved from this normally because on most major issues if both sides don't have a bunch of good points one side would already have one. I truly think a lot of them would be neutral on genocide or slavery in the right circumstances, and I think history circa 1930s or 1850s backs that.

You're probably right there. Of course, it hardly ever happens that one side is horribly wrong and the other totally right, as you point out - one might argue that it's not such a bad general position to take, then. Even slavery, at least in the 19th century US context, is not entirely a black and white issue - and the Civil War certainly wasn't.

Well, this can even be taken a step further. I believe slavery and genocide to be wrong, and am willingly to explain why, how many people, if asked, can really defend that stance? Or have they simply taken it because 'everyone knows'? Such being the case, how do they differ from those centuries bakc who might have said 'everyone knows those (native group) are inferior to us'? Even if pressed, those who do come up with an answer, and a decent sounding one, basically tend to be reciting stuff they've never really pondered. Everyone knows the Earth is round, prior to photos 'I've seen pictures from space, I've no reason to think them doctored or the equipment flawed' few could have told you why and defended it. Even that, pictures, is a crappy reason. YOu've no reason to think them altered, but almost all of them are, clouds or darkside subtracted via time elapse and filters, lighting adjusted, etc. Everyone knows there are no unicorns, a patently absurd statement form anyone who believes in evolution and accepts the size of the universe, a horned horse is certainly no improbability in evolution, and fossil records are basically incapable of disproving something existed. But everyone knows they don't exist, they'd laugh at the suggestion.

But I'm not trying to make a blanket statement, it is entirely possible to be moderate and know you're stuff, it just tends to be the minority, and I generally dislike the reasoning of most who pick this stance.

Like I said, guess I just haven't met many people like the ones you describe.

I think you're probably giving them the benefit of the doubt, I usually do too, been in a vile temper the last couple days, lost my cat, and it's easy to let them slide because a lot of them tend to agree with you when you discuss things, they don't take much convincing. Everyone wants to be liked, and everyone wants to be seen as smart, and a lot of times they subconsciously slide in the direction that will generate that view of them. It tends to bug me because I've switched people over to one side or another of a debate so often and easily that I can just see them agreeing with me on something utterly absurd if I wanted to push them that way, heck a few months back in one of my blacker moods I convinced two people that we should pursue criminal investigations on candy makers because just like cigarette companies they targted adds at minors and the product is unhealthy.

I'm not anti-moderate or anti-neutral exactly, I just want to see people stop treating 'moderates' as though they automatically were more civilized or enlightened than people who have picked a side, either on a speciifc issue or by choosing to primarily support one part, when in most cases it's the exact opposite.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Albert Einstein

King of Cairhien 20-7-2
Chancellor of the Landsraad, Archduke of Is'Mod
Reply to message
Moderates, Idiots, Apathy, and Mass Hysteria – A post-holiday rant - 06/01/2010 04:51:41 PM 995 Views
I generally agree with you - 06/01/2010 06:10:45 PM 421 Views
Re: I generally agree with you - 06/01/2010 07:11:22 PM 444 Views
you should sneer at asprin anyways *NM* - 06/01/2010 07:55:29 PM 179 Views
It's the whole 'natural' thingy... - 06/01/2010 08:14:45 PM 331 Views
if there was a berry i could stick up my nose... - 06/01/2010 08:17:00 PM 463 Views
When spring rolls around again I'd probably join you - 06/01/2010 08:42:05 PM 352 Views
well, just as a note to life expectency - 06/01/2010 09:55:12 PM 344 Views
Re: well, just as a note to life expectency - 07/01/2010 05:30:41 PM 479 Views
I don't believe we can say either way at the moment - 08/01/2010 08:40:30 PM 363 Views
I dunno, I tend to prefer moderates above partisans. - 06/01/2010 06:29:27 PM 447 Views
That's not really a moderate though - 06/01/2010 06:51:05 PM 440 Views
Re: That's not really a moderate though - 07/01/2010 11:10:17 PM 560 Views
Re: That's not really a moderate though - 08/01/2010 07:26:14 PM 522 Views
This was a fun post to read. - 06/01/2010 07:52:46 PM 402 Views
One tries one's best - 06/01/2010 08:28:08 PM 484 Views
Jindal is well meaning, but he's a horrible governor. - 06/01/2010 09:29:57 PM 348 Views
So I presume he is republican? - 06/01/2010 09:56:42 PM 404 Views
He was seriously talked around for the 2012 pres bid - 07/01/2010 01:05:35 AM 445 Views
you're not wrong - 07/01/2010 01:11:17 AM 356 Views
It sounds harsh but sometimes cutbacks help - 07/01/2010 02:58:24 AM 547 Views
it's more a matter of the degree - 07/01/2010 05:07:18 AM 375 Views
That's true, but as LL said, the balance is completely off. - 07/01/2010 05:30:56 AM 365 Views
Re: That's true, but as LL said, the balance is completely off. - 07/01/2010 06:18:08 AM 401 Views
that would actually be quite interesting - 07/01/2010 06:26:36 AM 323 Views
But you already have insane amounts of people in jail. - 07/01/2010 11:22:19 PM 392 Views
The higher crime rate in the US is something of a different issue - 08/01/2010 08:26:00 PM 572 Views
That's a long post... - 08/01/2010 08:58:07 PM 568 Views
I agree. *NM* - 07/01/2010 01:18:06 AM 189 Views
Huh. That wasn't offensive. It was interesting. *NM* - 06/01/2010 10:48:17 PM 177 Views
muon, proton, and moron? Lol. *NM* - 07/01/2010 01:22:19 AM 349 Views
I enjoyed your post, except for one part. - 07/01/2010 01:23:09 AM 505 Views

Reply to Message