Active Users:185 Time:19/05/2024 02:20:35 PM
TV: What Would You Do? Aeryn Send a noteboard - 17/01/2011 05:13:48 AM
This is a show on ABC that's available on hulu. I just watched the top 5 episode.

They set up various hidden camera scenarios of when a decent person should get involved and watch how people react (sometimes they vary parameters, switching male for female actors, or ramping up the intensity to see if it provokes people differently). The viewers top 5 were someone speaking loudly on a cellphone in a diner, a crying infant being left in a locked car on a sunny day, a black woman being harrassed at an upscale clothing store solely because of her race (in no uncertain terms), a gay family being harrassed at a diner and asked to leave by a waiter, and a three girls bullying another at a park.

Of course, most of people's reactions are to just walk by, and their explanation was, "It was none of my business. I'm just here to eat/shop. I don't want to get involved." I think it's the classical American attitude. If you're not American, do you think reactions in your country would be different?

One interesting thing I noticed: when one person does speak up, more people tend to join. For example, with the black woman being harrased in the store, when two women stood up for her and walked out the store with her, something like a dozen other shoppers followed in protest, while in many other clips we saw, reactions were absolutely minimal - either avoidance, or quiet disapproval. I think the show's great: it's basic civic education. (well the cellphone incident is a clear exception because of the entertaining turn it took)

In how many of these scenarios would you get involved? Do you think people should?

On a related note, did anyone see the recent SNL clip about Nancy Pelosi and John Boehner? I'm giggling about it all day. "A puppy in a red-white-and-blue bandana sits near a door..." :D

http://www.hulu.com/watch/205731/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-pelosi-and-boehner

So yeah I had a little Boehner moment. I know it sounds dirty but that's not what it means even if you're too lazy to see the link.
Episode on hulu
This message last edited by Aeryn on 17/01/2011 at 05:46:50 AM
Reply to message
TV: What Would You Do? - 17/01/2011 05:13:48 AM 841 Views
Re: TV: What Would You Do? - 17/01/2011 05:39:41 AM 1204 Views
I can't watch that, but I've seen it before. - 17/01/2011 12:32:11 PM 565 Views
Re: TV: What Would You Do? - 19/01/2011 06:52:32 PM 536 Views

Reply to Message